turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wiakmom1
Returning Member

Is the IRS already accepting returns?

I filed my taxes yesterday and got an email this afternoon that my federal taxes were accepted by the IRS. I thought they weren’t accepting returns until 1/27/2020? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The IRS randomly selects a small number of tax returns to use for testing the e-File system before the actual starting date. Yours got selected for one of the test runs.

wiakmom1
Returning Member

Ok so does that mean it still won’t be officially accepted until 1/27?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

No. If you got an email saying that it was accepted, then it's officially accepted. But they may not start processing it until the 27th.

My return was accepted today too & I just filed with turbo tax last night. 

If your federal taxes were accepted already, does that mean your refund could come earlier than the 27th?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Tblachura  No, your refund will not come earlier than the 27th.

wrong- people who have gotten the accepted have already been getting their refunds.

mine was accepted as well early on the 21st. so im wondering if its part of the test batch- but i have the child tax credit so im not sure if mine will come early.

just confusing

IRS Will not send direct deposit before 27th no matter what people say!!

I got accepted on the 21th an got approved today an my direct deposit will get deposit on the 29th...😎😎😎

I checked WMR yesterday {1/25} and it had been accepted. They were filed on 1/17.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

The Intuit Electronic Filing Center began accepting and holding ("stockpiling") 2019 tax returns that are final and able to be e-filed on January 4. The IRS starts processing stockpiled returns on January 27, 2020. A few returns will be processed up to a week before this date for testing purposes. If your return is among those that the IRS processes early as part of its testing, your tax refund (if any) won't be processed until after January 27. For more information on receiving your refund please see the below FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/when-will-i-get-my-irs-tax-refund/00/25589

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This information was inaccurate.

IRS began processing refunds before the 27th; a percentage of the early test returns were fully processed and approved before the 27th. My refund was processed and approved several days before the 27th. I even got an expected date of deposit before the 27th. Your claim that *none* of the returns, even the early test returns, would begin processing was false.

Again, this information was incorrect. A percentage were fully processed and sent before the 27th.

You got your Direct Deposit? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies