turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jdetty89

Is it possible to amend a state tax return, but not the same year's federal tax return in Turbotax?

I received a notice from my state saying that I need to file an additional school district tax form due to living in the school district for part of the year. So I tried amending in Turbotax, but stopped when it began amending my federal tax return as well as my state tax return. My understanding is that a federal tax return amendment should not be necessary. Rather, only the state return should be amended. Is there a way to amend only the state tax return for a given year in Turbotax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Is it possible to amend a state tax return, but not the same year's federal tax return in Turbotax?

Start the amendment process then skip the federal section and click on the state tab. 

jdetty89

@Critter-3 Thanks for the reply. But I don't see any option to skip the federal section. I wasn't able to click a state tab. I have started the amendment and I don't have any option to skip federal. If I click through, it takes me to a page asking about why I'm amending my federal return. I have tried cancelling the amendment and restarting but it just takes me back to the same place. What else could I do?

Just pick any reason to "amend the fed" and then once past that you can click on the state tab to make the changes. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies