Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it bad to amend for a third time?

Hello! Is it bad to amend my 2021 return for a third time? Has anyone heard of that? Will I be in trouble? I just want to make sure everything is covered. This will 100% be the final time.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I see it as only 'bad' for not being patient back in the beginning to be sure you had all the required documents and entered them correctly.  Rushing gets nowhere. 

I can't imagine the IRS is going to care, esp. if you owe tax - they will figure that out in any event if it's from a W_2 or any other form that was submitted by the source directly to the IRS

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Before you file the third amendment, make sure that the IRS has finished processing your original tax return and the first two amendments. Filing another amended return before all of the earlier returns have been fully processed will cause confusion and delays. And make sure that the "original amounts" in column A of your third Form 1040-X properly take into account any earlier adjustments made either by your earlier amended returns or by the IRS.

@rjs @NCperson 

Thank you for the tips! I will wait a couple of weeks to a month for the next amendment.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Wait until you get letters from the IRS telling you that the first two amendments have been completed. That will probably be a lot more than a couple of weeks to a month. They are taking five months or more to process amended returns.

a month is too short. with all the amendments you submitted it could take the IRS 8 months or longer to figure everything out.  before filing the 3rd amendment you need to see what the IRS finally approves with the 2nd amendment.  don't wait and you may be filing a fourth amendment.  haste makes waste.

@sedtax 

Eight months from now, the 2021 e-File window will have closed.

This year, IRS will accept three e-Files of Form 1040-X.

After that, or after Oct 15,  you'll have to file on paper via US Mail.

Thank you everyone! I will wait.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies