Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Taking Forever

Is there anyone else who are having similar issues such as the ones I am having below?

My husband and I filed our taxes the end of January 2021, they were accepted by the IRS 02/13/2021. Since that date, there have been no updates. I have called 2-3 times per week for the past several weeks to figure out what is going on. Today I got told that there was an error (income had not yet been reported by an employer); so they were taken out of the system, fixed (without any issuances to us), and were placed back in the system on 03/30/2021. The IRS agent was having to put in a referral form since the expected time frame of 8 weeks has passed since we filed. We have now been told that they will contact us within the next 30 days but letter notification in the mail. 

What in the world? Why is it taking so long to process? 

I understand that stimulus checks were issued, but I have been filing taxes for 9 years now and I have NEVER had to deal with any of this. No one can give me any updates other than it is processing either. I am not allowed to speak with anyone in the processing department either. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

IRS Taking Forever

These are unprecedented times for us all including the IRS.

Never before has such a series of direct to taxpayers payments been made along with changes in the rules for what income is and is not taxable in the middle of a tax season before. 

The IRS is reacting to deliver in a dynamic environment of change while operating in the same COVID world as all of us. 

What we think is known today is subject to total change tomorrow.  

IRS Taking Forever

Thank you JeffreyR77, is there any way we can check if there are any problems on the return, or if it's just taking forever.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

IRS Taking Forever

You an always try to get your IRS Transcript to see if it is been processed and whether it matches the return that you filed.  

Next you should continue to monitor Get My Payment tool for the most up to date information on your stimulus payments.

Lastly, you can try the IRS Economic Impact Payment phone number is 800-919-9835. You can call to speak with a live representative about your stimulus check.  Expect long hold times, try early and late for best results.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IRS Taking Forever

My husband and I filed our taxes in the middle of February and it's now the first week of April and still no refund We haven't received any letters from anyone We are in the dark Can someone maybe give me a clue as to what is happening Thanks!

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

IRS Taking Forever

They are probably reviewing something on your return.  Check the Where's My Refund site to get the most up to date information on your refund.   And keep checking the mail for a notice if the return remains pending for several weeks.    @crawforddenise393

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IRS Taking Forever

Tha IRS is taking forever 

IRS Taking Forever

@bealsbeals wrote:

Tha IRS is taking forever 

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of June 5, 2021, we had 18.2 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.

If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions
If over 21 days since being Accepted by the IRS and the tax refund is still Processing you can call the IRS and speak with an IRS agent concerning your tax refund.
Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies