IRS Taking Forever

Is there anyone else who are having similar issues such as the ones I am having below?

My husband and I filed our taxes the end of January 2021, they were accepted by the IRS 02/13/2021. Since that date, there have been no updates. I have called 2-3 times per week for the past several weeks to figure out what is going on. Today I got told that there was an error (income had not yet been reported by an employer); so they were taken out of the system, fixed (without any issuances to us), and were placed back in the system on 03/30/2021. The IRS agent was having to put in a referral form since the expected time frame of 8 weeks has passed since we filed. We have now been told that they will contact us within the next 30 days but letter notification in the mail. 

What in the world? Why is it taking so long to process? 

I understand that stimulus checks were issued, but I have been filing taxes for 9 years now and I have NEVER had to deal with any of this. No one can give me any updates other than it is processing either. I am not allowed to speak with anyone in the processing department either.