turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS site says 2018 taxes not filed, but i did it through Turbo Tax

I am having issues getting my 2019 returns rejected.  I am taking my AGI off of last years return, but went to IRS site as instructed through help section on Turbo Tax site.  There doesn't seem to be a record of me filing taxes last year.  

I need help a) confirming my taxes were filed by Turbo Tax and b) getting my returns in properly.

Thanks, Kelly

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I had the same problem so they told me since I’m filling my 2018 in February 2020 I would have to put 0 for my 2018 income on my 2019 return because I filed it past October 31 of 2019.this should help it did me so please let me know how it works out

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Check your account for 2018.  If it says anything other than "accepted" your return was not filed. Either it was rejected or it was never filed at all. If you chose to file by mail, you had to mail it yourself.

If your 2018 was not filed, just check that you didn’t file last year when we ask you. But if you’ve already entered a number for your AGI, manually enter 0 instead.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
APOHLINT
Returning Member

I had the same problem.  I did eventually have to enter 0 as well.  But, I had no idea that my 2018 return was never acknowledged by the IRS!  I just found this out and I am really upset.  I have a copy of everything that was supposed to be returned and I have cancelled checks of taxes paid as well as the the receipt for the Turbo Tax Order.  So now what do I do?  It states on the return that I chose to pay using a credit card for my Federal Tax and I can't for the life of me find that on any credit card statement.  Nonetheless the Turbo Tax return does say that it was electronically signed.  I am trying to get a mortgage!  What should I do?  

@APOHLINT 

" But, I had no idea that my 2018 return was never acknowledged by the IRS!"    Not sure what you mean by that.  You say you had to use "zero" as an AGI--when a tax return is filed late or amended , often the AGI does not make it into the system in time for you to use it when you want to e-file the next year, so you have to either try using zero or print and mail the return.  It is not clear from your post which you ended up doing.    You say that you have a canceled check--was that the check you wrote to pay your federal tax due?  If so, that is your proof that you paid, and the only acknowledgement you will get from the IRS for paying.  What is the date on the check?  Was it payable to the United State Treasury?  Does the amount match the amount of tax due as shown on your Form 1040?

If you are worried that the IRS did not credit your payment , look at the transcript of your 2018 return that you can get for free from the IRS.

You can get a free transcript from the IRS:   

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
APOHLINT
Returning Member

I paid per check for my state taxes and that is the same amount that was on my turbo tax return. So, I fi have that as a receipt of payment.  I went on the IRS website to get a 2018 transcript and the IRS has no record of my 2018 filing. The Turbo Tax return does say that I chose to pay my federal payment with a credit card but I am not sure which one I used. I have searched but have not found it yet.  What I also have is a 2018  return from Turbo Tax that was electronically signed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies