Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS sent a note that says "Schedule D is incomplete or missing from your return." Turbotax hasn't produced a Schedule D for me. How do I get a completed one?

The IRS notice is also asking for back up documentation, which I can send, but I don't know where to find a filled out Schedule D because I am not seeing it in my Turbotax file.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

IRS sent a note that says "Schedule D is incomplete or missing from your return." Turbotax hasn't produced a Schedule D for me. How do I get a completed one?

If a missing Form 1099-B is not the reason that the IRS thinks your tax return needs Schedule D, it's possible for the IRS to think that your tax return should have included Schedule D if you had dividends or capital gains reported only on Form 1099-DIV, you mailed your tax return and the IRS data transcriber failed to transcribe the mark in the checkbox on Schedule 1 line 13.  (It happened to me once.)  The resulting entry in your tax-return transcript on line 13 without the corresponding checkbox mark implies to the IRS that your tax return should have included Schedule D when, in fact, it was not required.  If this is the only reason that the IRS thinks you need to provide Schedule D, rather than trying to convince the IRS that no Schedule D was required you can simply open your tax file using the CD/download version of TurboTax, switch to forms mode, open Schedule D, print the form and mail it to the IRS.

If you e-filed the tax return, disregard this possibility.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Did you have a 1099-B that you entered into TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

The usual reason for the notice you got  is that you failed to report a form 1099-B (stock or mutual fund sales) that you received. The IRS received a copy of that  1099-B, in your name and SS#. Had you entered it in TurboTax, it would have ended up on Schedule D.

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

If you did not enter your 1099-B, you will need to click here for instructions on how to Amend Your Return.  Once you are in, you will Enter Your 1099-B.  You will then need to print and mail your amended return to the IRS.  Amended Returns can NOT be e-filed, they must be mailed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

If a missing Form 1099-B is not the reason that the IRS thinks your tax return needs Schedule D, it's possible for the IRS to think that your tax return should have included Schedule D if you had dividends or capital gains reported only on Form 1099-DIV, you mailed your tax return and the IRS data transcriber failed to transcribe the mark in the checkbox on Schedule 1 line 13.  (It happened to me once.)  The resulting entry in your tax-return transcript on line 13 without the corresponding checkbox mark implies to the IRS that your tax return should have included Schedule D when, in fact, it was not required.  If this is the only reason that the IRS thinks you need to provide Schedule D, rather than trying to convince the IRS that no Schedule D was required you can simply open your tax file using the CD/download version of TurboTax, switch to forms mode, open Schedule D, print the form and mail it to the IRS.

If you e-filed the tax return, disregard this possibility.

Thank you.  I checked all my 1099s and they are all entered, so believe your suggestion may be what happened, that the IRS didn't see the checked box for no Schedule D.

I used the online version of TurboTax, not the CD version, but I filed my returns by mail, not electronically.  I cannot find a  Schedule D in all the documents in my file.  I see a Schedule D worksheet.  Can I send that in?  I'll happily send in the 1099s I have as well.

dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax has a Schedule D Tax Worksheet, but no "Schedule D worksheet" that I'm aware of.  If the pdf of your tax return has a Schedule D Tax Worksheet then it should also have a Schedule D.

You can download the amendment version of TurboTax and use it to open the tax file that you download from your TurboTax account, then open and print Schedule D in Forms mode.

Thank you again.  I appreciate your help!  I have looked through the documents produced via Turbotax with all the worksheets.  I see something called: 

"Schedule D, Line 19, Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain Worksheet";

"Schedule D, Line 18, 28% Rate Gain Worksheet",

"Form 1040 Line 11a, Schedule D Tax Worksheet", and

"Form 1040, Line 11a, Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet." 

I am not seeing anything that is saying just plain old "Schedule D".  Do you suppose I could just send in all the worksheets?

I am not sure what the "amendment version of Turbotax" is.  If there is something more there, where would I find that version?  I can click into my old documents.  I can click on "amend", but I am not finding my way to a Schedule D. 

dmertz
Level 15

It seems odd that your pdf file would contain both the Schedule D Tax Worksheet and the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet since only one or the other is used when calculating your income tax.

Are line 18 of the Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain Worksheet and line 9 of the 28% Rate Gain Worksheet both $0?  Do you have any long-term capital loss carryover from the previous year?

If the IRS is asking for Schedule D, send them a Schedule D.  As I mentioned earlier you can download your tax file and TurboTax amendment software to open your tax file, then open and print Schedule D in forms mode.

I bought the Turbotax online version.  I can't find where to download it.  I found one place but it won't let me do 2018. 

I am happy to send the IRS a Schedule D but I have looked at the form online because I can't find it in Turbotax and I don't understand it.  The Schedule D form asks whether I am using Form 8949, for instance.  I don't know which one to use.  This is why I use Turbotax.   Does this mean I need to use a tax accountant if I can't figure out how to fill out this form by myself?  Please help.

One more part of the answer to your questions.  Yes, both worksheets show $0 - the "Unrecaptured Section of 1250 Gain Worksheet" and the "28% Rate Gain Worksheet".

I did not buy the CD or download version.  I used the online version, but I did not e-file.  I sent in my return by mail.  Can I access the form - filled out - in the online version?  Can I get the download version if I only purchased the online version? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies