turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Says I didn't pay estimated taxes but I did

6 weeks after filing with Turbo Tax, I received a letter from the IRS saying I owe nearly $10K nine days from now.  Apparently they did not locate my estimated tax payments, which I made on time each quarter in 2019.  I paid them using the EFTPS site, using my business EIN.  How could they miss this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Ok  ... so just respond to the notice with proof of payment ... the EFPTS receipts and the bank account statements to back them up  AND a possible explanation of what went wrong.  

Now your issue may be the fact you used a business account to pay personal estimated taxes ... so did the correct account get credited ?   They may need to move the payments to the correct account.  

Thanks for your response.  I did use my EIN to pay the estimated taxes and I don't think Turbo Tax ever asked for my EIN, so when I filed, I'm guessing there was no linkage from my SSN to EIN.  Seems impossible to reach anyone at IRS by phone especially under current COVID-19 conditions, so I will try by sending a letter with documentation as you suggested.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies