turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS reference number 9021

Hello,

I filled using turbo tax premium and my refund was accepted and when I follow up on IRS site it shows that there is a issue with my return and they will send me notice it has been more that 2 months I did not get any notice when I see " where is my return" page it shows that I have "IRS reference number 9021" not sure what that mean and what should I do fix it , does turbo tax help with it how to seek help , can I upgrade to get help after filing? Please help.

Thanks,

Masthan Shaik

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

38 Replies

The IRS sent many of its employees home for about two months due to the pandemic----during that time, tasks that had to be performed by a human in the office were left behind, and the clock stopped ticking on the time it would take for them.  They are back now, so you should start watching the IRS refund site for information.  And, no, TurboTax cannot speed them up for you, even if you upgrade.  Once your return has been filed, TurboTax receives no information from the IRS nor can TT act on your behalf with the IRS.    Sorry.

IRS phone lines supported by customer service representatives for both taxpayers and tax professionals are not staffed at this time. To check on regular tax refund status via automated phone, call 800-829-1954. (This line has no information on Economic Impact Payments.)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.  Many refunds are taking longer during the pandemic. 

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 20 of your Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

9021– Reference Code for all math error conditions.

Note that a "math error" can occur if you make a data entry mistake, or forget to claim some income; and thus the refund amount is incorrectly calculated..  The IRS will be sending you a letter. They do not notify TT. 

I received a notice with the code 9021.

After filing taxes for my second stimulus money. The irs site says someone else has claimed me and received my "2nd" stimulus money $600. But I feel that its something to do with this turbo tax card, because when the 2nd stimulus came my card said it had been deposited to my card but the card had returned it to the irs and I can't find out why. Iv called the card and the irs and cant speak with a live operator with either one.  I'm furious with this stupid card and the irs!!! No one else can or has claimed me or they wouldnt have deposited it on my card to beging with.

Also my card says I owe $9.90 for over due charges, you'd think theyd taken that out of the $600 before theyd ever returned it to the irs but there's nothing wrong with my card so idk why this has happened. I got my first stimulus check on it with no problems at all.

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Right now all I can do is wait until the irs sends me the letter on March 08, explaining why I haven't received my money.  

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Here is a help article with information about the Recovery Rebate Credit.

How do I claim the Recovery Rebate Credit in Turbo...

The IRS has also provided an FAQ with information on how to claim your Recovery Rebate Credit.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/recovery-rebate-credit

@AmandaR1976

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

what does it mean. I'm supposed to be getting both stimulus checks on my 1040ez form since I have received neither one. Now they say they adjusted it to zero due to what?? What the hell???

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

If you are eligible, you will get the stimulus payments. Only deal directly with the IRS. They can be reached at 1-800-829-1040. Monday - Friday 7 AM - 7 PM. 

For more information, see: Get My Payment Frequently Asked Questions | Internal Revenue Service. The IRS has stated that the stimulus payments can only be garnished for back child support. 

The TurboTax article link for the Recovery Rebate Credit, regarding eligibility states you

• Must be owed an additional amount based on the information in this year’s 2020 Tax Filing. The maximum amounts are:
    • First payment: $1,200 ($2,400 if married filing jointly for 2020) plus $500 for each qualifying child you had in 2020; and
    • Second payment: $600 ($1,200 if married filing jointly for 2020) plus $600 for each qualifying child you had in 2020
  • Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien,
  • Have a valid Social Security number, and
  • You can’t have been claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2020 tax return

In general, taxpayers without an eligible Social Security number are not eligible for the credit. However, married taxpayers filing jointly where one spouse has a Social Security number and one spouse does not, are eligible.

There are also AGI limits to receive the full amount of the credit. Your adjusted gross income (AGI) must be below,

• $75,000 for individuals
  • $112,500 for heads of household
  • $150,000 for married, joint filers

For filers with income above those amounts, the credit amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$112,500/$150,000 thresholds. This means:

• An individual without children will not receive any credit if their AGI exceeds $87,000
  • A couple without children will not receive any credit if their AGI exceeds $174,000
  • A family of four will not receive any credit if their AGI exceeds $198,000

@mirro1963

They kept mine for back taxes. Recovery rebate credit is garnished not protected like the stimulus check was. I am on disability 12k a year filed for both stimulus checks that I didn't receive and they kept all of it for a 1765.00 tax debt. This is just wrong on every level. 

What Does this meanI filled using turbo tax premium and my refund was accepted and when I follow up on IRS site it shows that there is a issue with my return and they will send me notice it has been more that 2 months I did not get any notice when I see " where is my return" page it shows that I have "IRS reference number 9021" not sure what that mean and what should I do fix it , does turbo tax help with it how to seek help , can I upgrade to get help after filing? Please help.

I got the same thing you did they took $600 out I was getting back 1799 now it’s 1100

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@jacquenoel Please take a look at the thread and FAQ references below:

IRS Code 9021

Refund Offset

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Johnnybv

Any clarity on this? No stimulus received during 2020. Claimed the credit on my return, $1800 accepted. IRS adjusted to $0 based on “math error”, reference code 9021. Supposed to get a notice next week that I’ll have to follow up on.

Buddy the only clarity that is needed is how can the federal government conduct and get away with such a straight up faulty outright scandalous act I don't no& do it with blatant disregard in such a time of dismay and misery in plain sight it is disheartening First one they could get second one protected but if for what ever and any reason u r forced to use the rebate recovery box on your tax form its gone it is no longer stimulus now its rebate recovery same thing but different words SO FAULTY  Its like having a bag of cocaine infront  of the cops but writing sugar on it for the judge and it b ok How do u think that would play out 

OK then when they said they going to mail me a letter by the eighth I should receive it this month I have not received it and still it’s already past 12 and I’m supposed to IOK then when they said he go to mail me a letter by the eighth I should receive it this month I have not received it and still it’s already past the 12th and I’m supposed to have my check by then still haven’t received it when I called them they said eco-mill everything out on the 15th The question is do we have to wait for that first letter to fill anything out to get back to him before we get our taxes

If they said they're going to mail it on the 8th it's only the 14th so it could still be in transit I don't know if you're waiting for the rebate recovery or just your straight up tax return are the tax return to take a minute because they're so backlogged

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies