turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS owe me more than $7000 for 2019 tax ammenment. It has been credited to my IRS account but not released to me since March 2020. What is a best way to get it back?

I submited 1040X for 2019 taxes and IRS fixed an error and now IRS owe me more than $7000 refund for 2019 tax ammenment.
I can see online that it has been credited to my IRS account and account balance is now -$7000 but never received it since March 2020.
I have sent 3 mails to IRS with F3911 but no response and then wrote to IRS Local Taxpayer Advocate in Georgia using form 911 but no response after 3 weeks.

Can any one suggest what is a best way to get this refund credited to my account back? I have used both forms 3911 and Local Taxpayer but no use.
Is it possible to claim this on my 2020 Tax return? or whom should I contact to get help when there is no response form IRS and Taxpayer advocates.  I need to know right forum to contact or request for refund.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

IRS owe me more than $7000 for 2019 tax ammenment. It has been credited to my IRS account but not released to me since March 2020. What is a best way to get it back?

form 3911 is initiated by the IRS in response to a refund inquiry.  try this 

In most cases, you should get a letter in the mail if there is an issue with your taxes.

try calling this number: 800-829-1954.  but the IRS is so messed up with the second stimulus and paper returns don't be surprised if you don't get thru

the only other number is the general number 800-829-1040

First choose your language.
Then 2
Then 1
Then 3
Then 2
When asked for SSN do nothing it will ask twice
Then 2
Then 4
You should then be transferred to an agent, but there is likely to be a long wait or disconnect. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

my brother-in-law is also waiting for an amendment refund.

The IRS apparently is still way behind on processing paper returns, including 1040-X.

Form 3911 looks like something they send to you , so you have to figure out how to trigger them sending you that form.

No, I never receive any communication since I changed address and informed IRS using appropriate forms. No communication for almost one year but upon some forum members advice, I sent them form 3911 myself three times and no response yet. I requested Local Taxpayer advocate based on this forum recommendation, but no response. 

The solution looks good to me is to request this refund with 2020 return filing so I could get 2020 and previous refunds together, but I don't know how to do this and if this is possible? This is a reason I am requesting here for some suggestion.

By the way my 1040X was processed and accepted for refund on October 2019 and you can imaging this is really too long now. And my refund stuck at IRS and am finding ways to communicate and have no letter or email or any form of communication from IRS.

form 3911 is initiated by the IRS in response to a refund inquiry.  try this 

In most cases, you should get a letter in the mail if there is an issue with your taxes.

try calling this number: 800-829-1954.  but the IRS is so messed up with the second stimulus and paper returns don't be surprised if you don't get thru

the only other number is the general number 800-829-1040

First choose your language.
Then 2
Then 1
Then 3
Then 2
When asked for SSN do nothing it will ask twice
Then 2
Then 4
You should then be transferred to an agent, but there is likely to be a long wait or disconnect. 

I tried this solution again. And here is a response after several tries since morning.

[phone number removed] is useless, there is no way to connect with agent at this stage since everything is automated right now.

[phone number removed] With this number, every time call is disconnected due to overload volume. Asking to call on some other day as usual or after long wait disconnect without notice or agent's call back option.

I have been trying IRS numbers for almost several months and same issue and not of use. This is a big mess and am surprised that there is no way left to request my money back! The last hope is to request with my 2020 return but seems there is no solution!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies