turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

exc777
Returning Member

IRS didn't adjust my return for unemployment reduction

I filed my return prior to the recent stimulus bill passing, set it up for the IRS to withdraw on April 14th. 

I was eligible thanks to the stimulus to reduce my overall income by $10,200 of unemployment received in  2020.

Turbo Tax did update my return and it reflected a  decreased amount in how much I owed to the IRS.

After reviewing Turbo Tax's guidance it was suggested not to file an amended return, the IRS would make the  adjustment.

Unfortunately that didn't happen and the IRS just withdrew the original return amount which was almost $2000 more then the updated return. Should I send in an amended return to the IRS or will they eventually take care of the error?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

No, you should not amend.  IRS will start delivering refund in May.  Hang in there ! 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CozNoz

I filed my return before the unemployment deduction was enacted.  The return showed I owed money before the unemployment deduction but showed a refund after the deduction was applied.  I didn't pay the tax due amount since I was told the IRS would make the adjust.  Then about a week ago I received  a letter from the IRS saying I owed the original amount and giving me a deadline to pay it.   

How do you recommend I handle this situation.  Trying to contact the IRS by phone is very difficult

Thanks

If you are SURE you will not owe once the IRS recalculates the return then you can ignore the notice since it will no longer be valid once they correct the return.  You can call the number on the notice if you wish and let them know what is happening or write a response if you like to but it is not needed.  You may even get another notice again which you can ignore. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies