Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I’ve already received my 2019 tax refund direct deposit and now I owe taxes will I get my stimulus check direct deposit or mail ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I’ve already received my 2019 tax refund direct deposit and now I owe taxes will I get my stimulus check direct deposit or mail ?

I didn’t Use a card Like I’m seeing are use direct deposit from my bank account

View solution in original post

I don’t know what happened I got a letter a few months ago saying I would like 70 something dollars or something I didn’t pay much attention to it I just been Reed and I happen to see something but I got a refund of 982 for federal through direct deposit

My direct deposit information is on there and I don’t have a card I just thought I read something about if you owed or something like that they would send you a paper check

To the tax expert’s response: the TurboCard which receives it’s funds through the Santa Barbara TPG bank has a bank routing number and account number through Santa Barbara TPG bank which is the routing and account number found on my 2019 tax form that the IRS will be using to disperse my COVID19 stimulus payment . According to the IRS you cannot change your direct deposit information from what they already have on file. That portal is just for people that do not have direct deposit information (as in people that do not need to file taxes, and people that normally receive their tax refund via paper check).

How would the IRS know that the Santa Barbara TPG/Greendot/TurboCard’s Direct Deposit information is not our “real” bank? They would not... and per the Santa Barbara TPG website, no COVID19 stimulus payments will go through them. So anyone that used the TurboCard will have to wait for a stimulus payment via paper check, which could take months. 
Am I understanding all of that correctly or will there be availability for tax filers that have used prepaid debit cards like Greendot that have unique routing and account numbers through the Santa Barbara TPG bank via Turbo Tax recorded as their direct deposit information with the IRS on their most recently filed tax form be able to update their bank information with the IRS as well???

14 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

To read more information from the IRS, click here: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

@steveh5

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I don’t think that’s rite because I did receive a refund 

I also received a refund In 2019 direct deposit

You got a refund but now you owe taxes?  Did the IRS change your return or did you fill out an amended return for something?  Your Direct Deposit info should be on file with the IRS.

I didn’t Use a card Like I’m seeing are use direct deposit from my bank account

I don’t know what happened I got a letter a few months ago saying I would like 70 something dollars or something I didn’t pay much attention to it I just been Reed and I happen to see something but I got a refund of 982 for federal through direct deposit

My direct deposit information is on there and I don’t have a card I just thought I read something about if you owed or something like that they would send you a paper check

To the tax expert’s response: the TurboCard which receives it’s funds through the Santa Barbara TPG bank has a bank routing number and account number through Santa Barbara TPG bank which is the routing and account number found on my 2019 tax form that the IRS will be using to disperse my COVID19 stimulus payment . According to the IRS you cannot change your direct deposit information from what they already have on file. That portal is just for people that do not have direct deposit information (as in people that do not need to file taxes, and people that normally receive their tax refund via paper check).

How would the IRS know that the Santa Barbara TPG/Greendot/TurboCard’s Direct Deposit information is not our “real” bank? They would not... and per the Santa Barbara TPG website, no COVID19 stimulus payments will go through them. So anyone that used the TurboCard will have to wait for a stimulus payment via paper check, which could take months. 
Am I understanding all of that correctly or will there be availability for tax filers that have used prepaid debit cards like Greendot that have unique routing and account numbers through the Santa Barbara TPG bank via Turbo Tax recorded as their direct deposit information with the IRS on their most recently filed tax form be able to update their bank information with the IRS as well???

omniDIYer

My tax obligation in 2018 was $0, so no bank information was entered.

I just did my 2019 taxes, and because there's again $0 tax obligation, TurboTax automatically fills the bank information with Xs.

How can I override this to submit my direct deposit information for the stimulus check?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

If you have zero refund then no banking information can be entered.  You should file your return as is and then use the IRS portal to add your banking information for the stimulus payment.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
omniDIYer

This is a really big problem with Intuit.

I owed $0 in taxes in 2018, so there was no direct deposit info sent. I did my 2019 taxes on 15 April, also owing $0.

THERE IS NO WAY TO ADD THE DIRECT DEPOSIT INFORMATION TO TURBO TAX IF YOU DON'T OWE TAXES OR ARE DUE A REFUND.

Now, I can't even use the Non-Filers page the IRS site directs me to (supposedly managed by Intuit) because I submitted a 2019 tax return: https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/economicimpactpayment

So I'm screwed by Intuit when it comes to my stimulus check. 

What is Intuit planning to do to remedy this?

Cobra2004

hello my name is willie and my question is I file my 2019 taxes and owe $607 will I get a stimulus still I just really need to know I'm worried about this hope you can help with this question 

Cobra2004

I gave my information for direct deposit but do I get a stimulus 

Cobra2004

did you get my question

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies