turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TaxQ1

If I take a personal loan to build a vacation home outside the US, will I get any tax breaks on the personal loan since I'm using to fund my vacation home?

I already have a mortgage on my primary residence here in US.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I take a personal loan to build a vacation home outside the US, will I get any tax breaks on the personal loan since I'm using to fund my vacation home?

The same rules apply to a second home abroad as to one in the United States so interest paid on a loan secured by that home is deductible if you itemize. However property tax is not. 

@TaxQ1 - no, the interest is not deductible because the proceeds are from a personal loan and not a loan secured by the property.  

@NCperson wrote:

@TaxQ1 - no, the interest is not deductible because the proceeds are from a personal loan and not a loan secured by the property.  

To be considered a "mortgage" for the mortgage interest deduction, the loan has to be secured by a lien on the property.  It doesn't have to be a bank loan, it could be from a friend or from the former owner, but it has to be registered with the proper authorities where the home is located as a lien.  

Also, it used to be that foreign property tax was an allowable schedule A deduction along with property taxes on your US home, but that deduction has been removed by the tax reform law in 2017.  

If you use the home in business (as a rental part of the year, for example) you can deduct a portion of your property taxes and loan interest as a business expense, even if the loan is not a lien.  However, the loan proceeds have to be traceable to the property.  For example, if you used a credit card, and then used the same card for other personal items, you would lose the ability to trace a specific portion of the interest payments to the purchase of the home. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies