turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i pay the $60 to submit my 2018 federal taxes, will my 2018 get e-filed immediately or will your site simply give me documents to print out and snail mail to the irs?

i'm trying to give the irs my direct deposit info for the covid stimulus.  i already filed 2019 with another e-filer, i did not file 2018 yet.  i'm unable to e-file an amended return for 2019, so i thought if i could e-file 2018 here (no refund it due), will you still include my bank info, and will it still be sent electronically?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If i pay the $60 to submit my 2018 federal taxes, will my 2018 get e-filed immediately or will your site simply give me documents to print out and snail mail to the irs?

You cannot efile a 2018 tax return. To do a 2018 return, you must buy, download and install on your computer the 2018 product which is what I assume you would be paying the $60 for. You must print, sign and mail a 2018 tax return. It can't be efiled. 

Did you include your direct deposit information on the 2019 tax return that you filed. If you did and it is still current, you don't need to do anything. If you didn't include it or it has changed, you must wait for the IRS online portal in mid April to enter your direct deposit information. See this IRS web site and look under Update Your Information: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

View solution in original post

9 Replies

You cannot efile a 2018 tax return. To do a 2018 return, you must buy, download and install on your computer the 2018 product which is what I assume you would be paying the $60 for. You must print, sign and mail a 2018 tax return. It can't be efiled. 

Did you include your direct deposit information on the 2019 tax return that you filed. If you did and it is still current, you don't need to do anything. If you didn't include it or it has changed, you must wait for the IRS online portal in mid April to enter your direct deposit information. See this IRS web site and look under Update Your Information: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

Additionally - The IRS portal for direct deposit will be available in mid-April - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

i was afraid of that... thanks for the prompt reply.  

so basically the irs only has my snail mail address,

so i may not get a paper stimulus check till 2021 😥

I know Donin, but the problem is if you filed 2019

and the irs didn't get your direct deposit info

because you didn't have any refund coming,

the only way to amend your return is by snail mail.

Roger,

update only applies to mailing address and takes weeks,

you cannot update your direct deposit info that way at all.

$60 is the price for 2019 online Deluxe.  To do 2018 you need to buy the Desktop Deluxe here for 79.99

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/ 

thanks Vol, $60 or $80

makes no diff to me if it's not by e-file.

@amrijoseph wrote:

I know Donin, but the problem is if you filed 2019

and the irs didn't get your direct deposit info

because you didn't have any refund coming,

the only way to amend your return is by snail mail.

There is no bank information entered on an amended tax return.  So you cannot enter direct deposit or direct debit bank routing and account numbers on an amended tax return.

thanks Donin, turbotax does not give you that impression when i attempted to do it, only to find out all it would do was print out a form i had to mail in anyway.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies