turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thobilesikakane24
Returning Member

I want to know if I try to amend my 2019 taxes, will I have the option of putting in my banking details?... I hear that the online option is available from 2019 onwards.

I have been waiting for the paper check since February
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to know if I try to amend my 2019 taxes, will I have the option of putting in my banking details?... I hear that the online option is available from 2019 onwards.

the IRS does not want a second return.   I understand the issue is that with paper filing, unless you used a method where yoU got proof of delivery, there's no way to know if the IRS got your return unless or until it shows up in where's my refund. 

your best option is to call because submitting a second return can actually delay the refund assuming the IRS hasn't already mailed the check but you never got it. 

800-829-1040

First choose your language.
Then 2
Then 1
Then 3
Then 2
When asked for SSN do nothing it will ask twice
Then 2
Then 4
You should then be transferred to an agent, but there is likely to be a long wait.

there is also the Tax Advocate Service.   

first you should try multiple times to contact the IRS through the method above otherwise the TAS may just tell you the same thing  - contact the IRS directly.

"Last year, we assessed where our efforts have the greatest impact, and identified four
types of issues in which the IRS seemed to get the right answer (though slowly). Those
cases involve the processing of original tax returns, amended returns, rejected and
unpostable returns, and injured (but not innocent) spouse claims. We determined that
TAS generally won’t accept cases involving these pure processing issues so we could
focus on higher-impact problems."

https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/about-us/learn-more-eligibility

https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/Media/Default/Documents/TAS_change_case_criteria_6_12_12.pdf

Never amend a return until the original return has fully processed and you have the refund in your hand.  Doing so can delay things further. 

"if I try to amend my 2019 taxes, will I have the option of putting in my banking details"

No. you will not enter banking information if you amend your tax return because if you are getting a refund for an amended return, the IRS does not send you a direct deposit.  They will only mail a check to the address on your tax return.

It is unclear whether you are thinking you need to amend to correct an actual mistake on your tax return or if you thought it would just be a strategy to get your refund.  Do NOT send an amended return until your original return has been fully processed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies