Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used TurboTax Desktop last year (2021). Today I'm uploading the tax return to TurboTax to 2021. It was successful but I don't find a way to access it. Can you help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

I used TurboTax Desktop last year (2021). Today I'm uploading the tax return to TurboTax to 2021. It was successful but I don't find a way to access it. Can you help?

Do you mean you are trying to transfer the tax file for your 2021 return into online software for tax year 2022?   

How to transfer last year’s return? https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900883

Or are you using the CD/download again and just trying to transfer 2021 in to the new 2022 return? 

You have to do that transfer first thing---before you enter any new 2022 information at all.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You do not access a 2021 tax data file transferred to the 2020 TurboTax online editions.  The 2021 tax data is a transfer that provides your prior year tax data to the 2022 tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for transferring prior year tax data to the current year TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/transfer-last-y...

I haven’t got to that point yet. I was just trying to upload the tax document of 2021 (pdf) to TurboTax so I can access it later.

@waltz2u If you are just wanting to upload a document then see this TurboTax support FAQ for uploading documents to My Docshttps://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/upload-document...

I followed the page https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/upload-document...

It led to a screen "Welcome to TurboTax! Here’s what to expect:"..., which is different from described.

What I did was to click the Intuit Account link on the menu on the left side, which led to https://accounts-tax.intuit.com/app/account-manager/overview?aid=tt&prgn=US&rgn=US, then I clicked "Products & billing" on the menu on the left, then select TurboTax among 2 options (TurboTax or Turbo), then it led to another screen showing the list of products, such as:

TurboTax Desktop 2021
TurboTax Online 2020
TurboTax Online 2019
TurboTax Online 2018
that I purchased in the past. In TurboTax Desktop 2021, there is no upload option, and no download button; In TurboTax Online 2020 there is a link "Tax returns and documents", clicking that link led me to a screen with a link "View documents from:" where I can select the year, and the text "Let's start uploading your 2021 documents! With MyDocs, easily upload and access your tax documents in one safe and secure place. Keep in mind that the info on your uploaded documents will not be added to your tax return." with an upload button. If I selected the year to be 2020, 2019, etc., there would be a link for downloading the tax return of that year as well. If I selected 2021, there would no link for tax return of 2021, which is reasonable as I used the desktop version of that year. I then used the upload button to upload the tax return of 2021 to MyDoc. The upload was successful, but after that there was no link to download the tax return that was uploaded. I looked around but didn't seem to find a way to access it. 

@waltz2u If you want to download a software purchase then you need to sign onto your download account using the same User ID that was used to purchase the software - https://shopping.turbotax.intuit.com/unified/downloads/myaccounts?route=MYACCOUNTS&cgcview=billing

Hi DoninGA. Thank you. But I don't need to download a software purchase. I just wanted to be able to keep the tax return 2021 somewhere online within Turbo Tax online. Previously I filed tax return 2021 with the desktop version so not the tax return is not available online - just local on my computer.

@waltz2u Ok...To upload a document to the online editions you must have started and paid for one of the online editions of Plus or higher.  Without having one of those paid for online editions the My Docs feature to upload documents will not be available.

If you have only purchased and used the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions that does not give you access to the online My Docs feature.

Thank you. Do you mean I will need to purchase an online edition of Plus or higher for 2021 together with its desktop 2021 edition in order to upload to Turbo Tax online 2021? 

For tax returns other than 2021, I used Turbo Tax Deluxe as well as Premium.

The online editions are only for tax year 2022 so you would need to purchase one of those editions.  Then you can upload Any documents you have to the My Docs online feature.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for information on My Docs - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/small-business-processes/docstm/L0VlCWX5...

" I was just trying to upload the tax document of 2021 (pdf) to TurboTax so I can access it later."

Why?   The return you prepared using the CD/download is stored on your own hard drive, and you can also store it on a flash drive or back up external hard drive; or you can print out a copy for your records.   You will not be able to transfer a pdf into a new 2022 return.   If you are switching to the online software for 2022 you can transfer the tax file and begin your 2022 return with your 2021 data.   

Unless you switch to using online software the "My Docs" feature does not help you.  If you have been using desktop software you might not like online much.   Online is not as cost effective if you have several returns to prepare; online does not have Forms mode, online does not have the "what if" feature that many people like to use for planning purposes....

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2750704-what-are-the-advantages-of-the-turbotax-cd-download-softwa...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Storing tax returns in local hard drives or flash drives isn't so convenient for me as I have more than 1 computer. 

I use the desktop edition only once but didn't like it, so switching back to online, and wanted to upload so all the tax documents are at the same place. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies