Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcmenekm

I spent $23,000 in Dental work in 2022. I'm going to file in a minute return with form 1040x to reflect that. My AGI was 52,000. Will I get a tax credit for the amount

I had an AGI of 52,000 in 2022. I spent $23,000 for dental expenditures for necessary dental work due to k. Donald disease and a multitude of other reasons. I know the IRS will allow me to deduct 7.5% of my agi. That leaves approximately $19,000. Will I get that as a tax credit towards my own taxes
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I spent $23,000 in Dental work in 2022. I'm going to file in a minute return with form 1040x to reflect that. My AGI was 52,000. Will I get a tax credit for the amount

review your 1040-X before you SUBMIT it.

your refund is on Line 21 and Line 22.

Given you are asking this question, something is not right.

@mcmenekm 

that's now how it works. with $52K in AGI you must reduce the medical expenses you paid in 2022 by 7.5% of AGI or $3.9k. that leaves $19.1 that's a deduction.  $52K- $19.1K leaves you with taxable income of $32.9K of

taxable income. It will be even lower if you have other itemized deductions.

as a single individual your Federal taxes would be about $3700 on $32.9K.  Turbotax will automatically reduce the medical expenses you enter by the 7.5 %

@mcmenekm did you file already and are now going back and amending?  you never stated that? 

did you take the standard deduction originally or did you itemize originally?  were there any medical costs already part of the tax return from the original filing?  Did you include your medical premiums as part of your medical costs? 

if you itemized on the original tax return and if the $22,000 was the only medical expenses to be added, then the adjsutment to your tax is going to be around $2300 ($19,000 times the tax bracket of 12%) .  So your orignal refund will be $2300 higher or the amount you owed originally  would be $2300 lower. 

if you took the standard deduction originally (Single filing status) and this is your ONLY deduction then the deduction of $19000 will only increase over the standard deduction ($12950 in 2022) by $6050) and that additional deduction of $6050 should increase your refund by aroung $720.  You can deduct the state and local taxes if live in a state that collects income tax and that money was paid in 2022. 

the answers to all these questions could affect what everyone else posted. 

You do not get a tax credit for medical/dental expenses; those expenses can be an itemized deduction IF you have enough other itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction.   

MEDICAL EXPENSES

The medical expense deduction has to meet a rather large threshold before it can affect your return. The amount of medical (including dental, vision, etc.)  expenses that will count toward itemization is the amount that is OVER 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You should only enter the amount that you paid in 2022—do not include any amounts that were covered by insurance or that are still outstanding.  Of course, your medical expenses plus your other itemized deductions still have to exceed your standard deduction before you will see a difference in your tax due or refund.

To enter your medical expenses go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Medical>Medical Expenses

2022 STANDARD DEDUCTION AMOUNTS

SINGLE $12,950  (65 or older + $1750)

MARRIED FILING SEPARATELY $12,950  (65 or older + $1750)

MARRIED FILING JOINTLY $25,900  (65 or older + $1400 per spouse)

HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD  $19,400  (65 or older +$1750)

Legally Blind + $1750

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies