Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hro0001
Returning Member

I sent the wrong check. Form 1040-V is correct but the check I mailed has a higher amount. Should I just mail a new check and stop payment on the first check?

I got a notice from IRS saying I own tax and they are charging me late fees (interests). What should I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I sent the wrong check. Form 1040-V is correct but the check I mailed has a higher amount. Should I just mail a new check and stop payment on the first check?

You will get credit for the amount on the check, even if there is a different amount on the voucher.  You do not need to do anything.

Did you send it in with a 1040ES estimated slip?  That is an estimated payment for NEXT year and won't apply to your current tax due.   So you still owe for this year.  Yes pay this year's tax due.  Then I  guess  you can try to cancel the first check.   If you don't then don't forget to enter it as a estimated payment on next year's return.

hro0001
Returning Member

Thank you very much for your answer. 

No, I did not send it with a 1040ES. I was just basically me being silly and writing the check for an incorrect  higher amount. 

I received Notice CP14 that says:

~Tax you own: "Dollar amount from the check I mailed with my tax return" + " Dollar amount I was supposed to pay"

~Total penalties: amount

~Total Interest: amount

~Payments and credits: "Dollar amount from the check I mailed with my tax return" (check has not been cashed, I checked my bank account statements)

~Amount due: "Dollar amount I was supposed to pay" + Penalties + Interest

I guess I will go ahead and pay the amount due to prevent any other penalties. I just hope they don't cash the previous check and apply it as a estimated payment.

evidently, the IRS found an error in your return and you owe more taxes than what was covered by your payment.  what we can't tell you is whether or not the IRS is correct. 

you can pay and do nothing further 

or you can hire a pro to check over your return

or you can use the services of 

TaxResources, Inc., also called TaxAudit.com, in partnership with TurboTax. If you paid for Audit Defense and you received an IRS notice, call TaxResources, Inc. at 877-829-9695, or report your IRS notice on their website at http://intuit.taxaudit.com/. Do not contact the IRS until you have spoken to TaxResources. They may contact the IRS on your behalf.

1040-V was the correct form to send with the amount that you owe. 

I would pay the amount due electronically as well as cancelling the check that is too high.

Envelopes with checks may not be opened for a long time due to the IRS being behind.  Paying electronically should be faster than mailing a check and voucher. 

I would not expect them to return any money to you.  If that check goes though, it will most likely be applied to 2021 estimated taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies