turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received notice DTF-973.56-O from NYS Tax Department stating they need my W-2 form. I sent it and received my refund. Do I need to amend my tax return for that yr?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

I received notice DTF-973.56-O from NYS Tax Department stating they need my W-2 form. I sent it and received my refund. Do I need to amend my tax return for that yr?

No, usually that just means that your W-2 got reported to the IRS, but for some reason New York did not get a copy.

New York will automatically add it to your state tax transcript, so there is no need for a state amendment. There is no affect in any way on your accepted federal return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Did you send it in the mail? I'm trying to figure out a way to upload it.

Thank you!
Ashby

No, usually that just means that your W-2 got reported to the IRS, but for some reason New York did not get a copy.

New York will automatically add it to your state tax transcript, so there is no need for a state amendment. There is no affect in any way on your accepted federal return.

Thank you!

How long did it take to recieve your money?

Billy S

It's just a delay tactic on the state's part.  They have the withholding information on file from the NYS-45s filed with the state.  If you don't send back the W2s, they won't send the refund.  If you send it, they tell you to allow 90 days.  The withholding ALWAYS matches on my returns, and I've gotten several over the years.  I read an article with a quote from the state claiming they issue these because of their "improved analytical software."  Why would improved software pick up  a zero difference in withholding on the return and W2?  This should really be investigated.  Anyone who thinks I'm a bit skeptical doesn't know NYS.  

@Billy S 

If this has been an issue over more than one tax year AND you have the same employer then the most likely situation is the employer either sends in the W-2/3 forms to the SS office late and/or they paper file which takes more time to be uploaded into the SS system then transferred to the Feds & State taxing authorities.  So when the state asks for your copy of the W-2 it is because they did not yet get one from the employer.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies