turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aprie02

I paid taxes on my unemployment and have not gotten any word and getting a refund for that. Should I file an amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I paid taxes on my unemployment and have not gotten any word and getting a refund for that. Should I file an amended return?

No.

The IRS is recalculating refunds for people whose AGI is $150K or below and who filed before the tax law that changed the amount of unemployment that is taxable on a federal return became effective.   

The IRS began to send out the additional refund checks for tax withheld from unemployment in May.  The refunds are being sent out in batches—starting with the simplest returns first.   If you are eligible for the extra refund for federal tax that was withheld from your unemployment the IRS will be sending you an additional refund sometime during the next several months.  TurboTax cannot track or predict when it will be sent.  The IRS has not provided a way for you to track it, so all you can do is wait for the refund to arrive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-get-the-new-unemployment-benefits-if-i-ve...

Please read this very recent news from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-and-deductions/help/am-i-eligible-for-a-new-credit-or-...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-unemployment-compensation-exclusion-faqs

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JoB4
Returning Member

I too paid taxed on unemployment as I filed my return in February.  I patiently waited for a refund and it showed up in my bank account the 2nd week of July.  I have not received any letter from the IRS explaining the amount.

I ran TurboTax to determine what the refund would be and review the forms to compare with what I filed in February.  The amount deposited in my bank account was $9.17 more than TurboTax.

I would expect some sort of communication in order to determine correct amounts to file 2021 taxes (next year) and to file an amended MO state tax return for 2020.  I paid MO taxes in February and running TurboTax actually would be getting a refund.  At this point not sure how I can file an amended state return with no documentation.  Any help with information about this topic would be appreciated.

As for those still waiting for their refund due to the unemployment issue; my advise is to wait until the end of August.  IRS communications have told that they were rolling these payments out in batches throughout the summer.

The $9.17 was interest paid to you since the IRS took too long to process the return ... exciting no?  

So did they send the original refund or the corrected amount ?   If this is only the original (+ Interest) then if you are eligible for more based on the unemployment exclusion then you need to wait longer until that department finally gets to your return.

JoB4
Returning Member

I failed to state that I got the initial refund in February.  The amount received in July was the difference (+ $9.17) based on the unemployment not being taxable.

I am fine with the final amounts.  Do not think the $9.17 difference is interest as that would be way too much.

The following is my concern.

I would expect some sort of communication in order to determine correct amounts to file 2021 taxes (next year) and to file an amended MO state tax return for 2020.  I paid MO taxes in February and running TurboTax actually would be getting a refund.  At this point not sure how I can file an amended state return with no documentation.  Any help with information about this topic would be appreciated.

JoB4
Returning Member

Found information to answer my questions and thought would share.

Access/or set up an account with the IRS for your personal information.  There you are able to see your detailed tax transcripts.  Mine showed the information required to file an amended MO state return.

Surprised to see that the $9.17 difference is actually interest!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies