turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Burns13
Returning Member

I never knew I had too file city taxes. I thought they automatically did it for you. What will happen?? Jail time?

I am currently dealing with this. Through my employer I have paid my city taxes and I have filed every year not knowing I had to file separately with my city. I have never recieved a letter until this year. They are now charging me $150 a year in penalties for 2015-2020 and they expect me to pay it in full by January 20th. I do not have that kind of money to just pay at the drop of a dime. I emailed the city tax department in hopes they can be waved this one time as I was unaware that I had to do this.

However, I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do or what they will do if they don't forgive them. What, do I not pay my rent and don't feed my children for a month so in turn I can pay LATE fees?? I can't pay it.. 😪 even a monthly payment is a burden I can't take on right now. You would think this expectation would be advertised somewhere since it's not common across all states. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

I never knew I had too file city taxes. I thought they automatically did it for you. What will happen?? Jail time?

Please see Which city tax returns can I do in the TurboTax state program? If your city is not listed, you will need to prepare the return on your own. 

@Burns13

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Burns13
Returning Member

Well, now I am aware of this. I know I have to file separately with my town and if I move elsewhere in Ohio, I know to look that information up. Its just not common knowledge since it's different in other states. 

I know this is 4 years old. Any news on what happened? I'm in a similar situation. 

@tarahlrice

This is a very old thread with posts from multiple people.  We do not know what "similar situation" you are in.   In general, it is going to be up to you to sort out the city or local tax you owe.   If you are in the state of Ohio, we may be able to give you some specific information.

City Tax Returns

TurboTax only prepares a few city or local tax returns as an extra step in your state return.  For most local tax returns you are on your own.  You may have to ask around amongst your neighbors, etc. to find out if you have a local tax and how to pay it. “Google “ local tax for your area.  Call your city government, etc.  Your only record of paying your local tax will be your own bank/credit card records

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899325-which-city-tax-returns-can-i-do-in-the-turbotax-state-prog...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

@tarahlrice  

Basically, there's been no change in the past 4 years.  If you're being dunned for back city taxes, you need to contact the city tax dept. (or RITA or CCA) to make arrangements to pay. 

Call your City or County treasurer as soon as you can. They are actually  willing to work with you.You will have to pay  the city back, but you don't have to pay it all at once. Some will offer you payment  options, but do it fast before it starts piling up. Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies