turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nixthis

I mailed my taxes 3 months ago. Wheres my refund doesnt show it as being received. Should I mail them again? Should I wait?

How long do I wait to resend my tax returns by paper if IRS doesnt show it received?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I mailed my taxes 3 months ago. Wheres my refund doesnt show it as being received. Should I mail them again? Should I wait?

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS:

COVID-19 Mail Processing Delays

It’s taking us longer to process mailed documents including:

• Paper tax returns, and
  • All tax return related correspondence.

We are processing all mail in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

It can take 3-4 weeks  (or longer since the IRS is backlogged) for anything to show up on the IRS site when you mail a tax return.  Expect at least 6-8 weeks for complete processing of a mailed return and probably longer.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
nixthis

Thank you for that information.  Unfortunately, I did not use Fed Ex or anything like that cause I mail my taxes every year.  I guess I should have this year :(

paper returns can take the IRS 4 - 6 months to process.. if you send a second and the IRS has the first this could delay processing even more.  in the future, if you are going to mail returns use a method where you can either track them or get proof of delivery.  not only is the IRS taking a long time to process returns in some US areas, as mentioned in news reports, the USPS is having trouble getting returns to the addressee - month-long delays if the mail is ever delivered at all.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies