turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I mailed my federal return 6 weeks ago it still says that haven't received / can't provide any information about my refund? Should I be concerned?

The IRS has only posted general information ... it is unknown which offices/processing centers are doing what and when. 

I mailed my federal return 6 weeks ago it still says that haven't received / can't provide any information about my refund? Should I be concerned?

It is now july. I filed my taxes in mid march. I have not got any refund yet. Sorry for the late reply. There is no information about my taxes either. I called the hotline i spoke to a representative and forced me back into the voice recording function. I tried calling the local office they are also closed too. So i will continue to wait and hopefully have some response by august 

@needtaxhelp22 wrote:

It is now july. I filed my taxes in mid march. I have not got any refund yet. Sorry for the late reply. There is no information about my taxes either. I called the hotline i spoke to a representative and forced me back into the voice recording function. I tried calling the local office they are also closed too. So i will continue to wait and hopefully have some response by august 

Many people are in this situation.  There have even been news articles about it.   I'll tell you a way to reach an IRS agent (if you're lucky), and also how to reach the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service.

Here are some things to do first, which you may have already done.  If you efiled, you should double-check to be sure the return was efiled successfully and accepted.  If you used Online TurboTax, you can sign into your Online Account and check the efile status at the Tax Home.

If that showed it was accepted, you can use the "Where's My Refund" tool at the IRS website below to monitor the status of your Federal refund.  
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

NOTE: When using that tool, be sure to enter the correct SSN and filing status.  Use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.  The amount to use is on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.

If the IRS tool says it is still being processed, here's how to reach the IRS, but it may not be easy.  Part of it is luck.  Due to the Coronavirus, some of the IRS call centers are closed, some are operating with reduced personnel, some are gradually opening back up.  Some users have reported this week that they have finally reached someone.   Here is the normal method to reach an IRS live agent when they are operating smoothly, and I'll also tell you below how to reach the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service.

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you continue to have no luck reaching the IRS, you can try contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.   They are still taking phone calls in most states.  They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.    If the Taxpayer Advocate can't/won't help you, ask them to transfer you to an an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that at least for them, that was a backdoor route to the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

I got my refund last friday by direct deposit after waiting nearly 4 months

We got ours yesterday after waiting since March as well. Saw it was received over the weekend when I checked and it was direct deposited yesterday.

FFK
Level 2

We are still waiting for ours - mailed it in 4/2/20 - does anyone know an update? I'm just worried that they don't have it and we will be dinged for not filing.  I have a certified tracking that it is "in transit to next facility" 

@FFK wrote:

We are still waiting for ours - mailed it in 4/2/20 - does anyone know an update? I'm just worried that they don't have it and we will be dinged for not filing.  I have a certified tracking that it is "in transit to next facility" 

For several months the IRS was not processing any mailed returns due to Covid-19, but they have recently begun processing them again, but there is a huge backlog.   The IRS also does not necessarily acknowledge delivery receipt, especially in this circumstance when they were stockpiling them.  Your return was likely delivered in bulk amidst a massive number of returns.

The IRS website continues to say:

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns

We continue to process electronic and paper tax returns, issue refunds, and accept payments. We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

Hang on to your tracking info that shows when you mailed it in case you need it, but the IRS is aware that many people are in your situation this year.   If you are due a Federal refund, there is no penalty for a late return anyway.

You can check the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool periodically to see when they start processing your return:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

I mailed out my Fed Return and State Return over a month ago.  Tracking shows that they arrived at the destination cities (Ogden, UT for the fed return) and (Sacramento CA for the state return.).   But there they sit, both returns not delivered yet.  Seems they are in a holding tank.  Guessing they are backlogged, in part due to the Corona Virus, and not even picking up their mail.  How much longer can they neglect these returns? 

Mailed in federal returns  are taking 6 months or longer to process ... hang in there. 

I am in a similar situation, on 11/5/21 mailed state taxes to (Salt Lake City, Utah) and got my refund check last week, federal went to (Ogden, Utah) sent certified mail and was received on 11/12/21 and 6 weeks later, still hasn't updated to received. It seems like the IRS website is mocking me saying "it takes up to 3 weeks to show on your account"

@NoRegretsTillTomorrow Sorry---but the severely backlogged IRS is often taking six months or longer to process mailed federal returns, so you will be waiting for awhile for your 2020 refund.  If you used a mailing service like certified mail to track it you will know it was received; otherwise you will simply have to wait for your return to be processed.   Once the IRS begins to accept 2021 returns only information for 2021 refunds will be shown on the IRS refund site.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I mailed both my Fed and State returns on October 14.  Both packages had tracking.  NEITHER was reported delivered, although the State actually received it and already processed my return.   On December 15 (TWO months after mailing it) I actually talked to an IRS representative and he said they have no record of receiving a return.  He did not mention any backlog for mail in returns; he actually said it can take up to six weeks to process.  I guess that was the textbook answer.  So they are holding onto a $7,000 refund, $5,000 of it should have been invested in a "I BOND" collecting interest.   

When at all possible efile the return.  You got the textbook canned response from the IRS but the truth is until the IRS data input operator enters your return in the system you will not be able to track it and due to the human shortage at the IRS that can take months to happen.   Others have reported delays in mailed in returns of months and months.  If you mailed them to the correct address then all you can do is wait. 

I hear ya.  Perhaps I am overreacting but I had to actually do an override, cut and paste, plus I had to attach pages of stock transactions etc.  I might be wrong but I just thought I would not be able to "customize" the return if I did it electronically.

Not all changes in the FORMS mode requires an override ... only overrides will stop you from efiling.

As for the stock sales ... you can always enter them as section summaries and mail in just the sales without the basis  or with adjustments after you efile ... they are attached to a form 8453 and mailed within 3 days of filing.  

Summary option : 

You can quickly enter this manually.  Your brokerage statements should include a summary of your transactions, grouped by sales category.

There are seven possible "Box" designations that indicate the holding period (Long/Short Term) and the reporting status.  These are the only ones you have to summarize. If you want to manually enter your 1099-B as the summaries.

1. Tell us about your 1099-B sales for this BOA account
    1. Answer the questions
  2. Since you have more than a few BOA sales, we recommend entering sales section totals
    1. Continue
  3. Before entering sales section totals, take a moment to find them on your 1099-B
    1. Continue
  4. Now, we'll enter one sales section total on your BOA 1099-B
    1. Use the drop down menu to select the correct designation.

Code A. This code indicates a short-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is being reported to the IRS. Use this code to report a transaction that the recipient will report on Schedule D (Form 1040), line 1a, or on Form 8949 with box A checked with totals being carried to Schedule D (Form 1040), line 1b.

Code B. This code indicates a short-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is not being reported to the IRS. Use this code to report a transaction that the recipient will report on Form 8949 with box B checked with totals being carried to Schedule D (Form 1040), line 2.

Box C. Report on a Part I with box C checked all short-term transactions for which you can't check box A or B because you didn't receive a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement).

Code D. This code indicates a long-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is being reported to the IRS. Use this code to report a transaction that the recipient will report on Schedule D (Form 1040), line 8a, or on Form 8949 with box D checked with totals being carried to Schedule D (Form 1040), line 8b.

Code E. This code indicates a long-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is not being reported to the IRS. Use this code to report a transaction that the recipient will report on Form 8949 with box E checked, with totals being carried to Schedule D (Form 1040), line 9.

Box F.  Report on a Part II with box F checked all long-term transactions for which you can't check box D or E because you didn't receive a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement).

Code X. Use this code to report a transaction if you cannot determine whether the recipient should check box B or box E on Form 8949 because the holding period is unknown.

Open or continue your return (if it's not already open) and search inside TurboTax for the phrase stock sales.

1. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  2. Answer Yes to both Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments? and Did or will you receive a 1099-B form or brokerage statement for these sales?
    • If you land on Here are all your 1099-B sales, select Add sales from a different brokerage. Then answer Yes to Did or will you receive a 1099-B form or brokerage statement for these sales?
  3. When asked how you want to enter your 1099-B, select I'll type it in myself.
  4. Select or enter your brokerage on the next screen and continue.
  5. On the following screen (Tell us about...), answer the questions until you reach the next screen. Select the second option, Let's enter a summary instead, and select Continue.
  6. You'll now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue.

When you are done, you'll eventually come to the Here's a summary of your broker sales screen where you can edit, delete, or enter more sales.

You will have to mail a copy of your 1099-B to the IRS.  TurboTax will produce a Form 8453. You print the Form 8453 and attach the brokerage statement(s) to it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies