turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ingellis4

Why can't i select direct deposit for state return

i have selected direct deposit for federal but it won't allow me to choose direct deposit for state.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ClarkeB

If you chose direct deposit for your federal return, the same is automatically applied to your state.

To change your banking information in Turbo Tax Online, you would go to the 'File' tab. Then:

• Select 'File' in the upper right of the screen.
  • Select  the 'Revisit' button next to 'Your Refund Info'.
  • Answer the interview questions
  • You will arrive at a screen asking for your bank account information.
NOTE: You cannot change your banking information if you have already filed your return (unless it is rejected by the IRS).

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ClarkeB

If you chose direct deposit for your federal return, the same is automatically applied to your state.

To change your banking information in Turbo Tax Online, you would go to the 'File' tab. Then:

• Select 'File' in the upper right of the screen.
  • Select  the 'Revisit' button next to 'Your Refund Info'.
  • Answer the interview questions
  • You will arrive at a screen asking for your bank account information.
NOTE: You cannot change your banking information if you have already filed your return (unless it is rejected by the IRS).
ingellis4

i haven't file yet and it wouldn't allow me to select direct deposit for state although i had selected it for federal.
ClarkeB

If you are due a refund and entered your banking information and selected Direct Deposit on your Federal Tax Return, that information will be used for your State Tax Return as well.
Nicolem01

It's telling me I can't. My fed has been accepted. It says something about file on paper , but I have no idea what that means. I've done this for years and have never had an issue 

Nicolem01

What happened bc I'm having same issue 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Generally when you select direct deposit for your federal return and you e-file both your federal and state returns the direct deposit information transfers over from your federal return to your state return. You can verify your bank information on your Federal and State return by following the instructions below:

To verify this information, please follow these steps to print or view your TurboTax Electronic Filing Instructions Page.  The banking and withdrawal information can also be printed/viewed on your Federal Information Worksheet Part V, and the State Information Worksheet, Part VI.

Follow these steps to view/print your instruction page:

·         Sign back into your TurboTax online account 

·         Scroll down and click "Add a State"  (This is just a way to get you back into your tax return)

·         Next select "Tax Tools" (left column) and then "Print Center"

·         Select "Print, save, or preview this year's return"

·         Check the boxes for your Federal and State returns (this will open further options)

·         Choose to include the government and TurboTax worksheets 

·         Then click "View or Print Forms".

If you did choose direct deposit on your Federal and the State return is not allowing direct deposit or you do not see it for your State after verifying, it is possible direct deposit is not available for your State. Please see the link below for additional information:

What are my options for getting my state refund or for paying any state taxes I owe?

For the "File on Paper" this would be printing and mailing verse e-filing. If your federal e-file has been accepted, then perhaps one of your state forms is not yet available for e-filing. Open your return interview and go through the REVIEW tab.  Do you get any messages about why you can't e-file it?

You can also check in this table to see if all your state forms are available:

State forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

Just keep direct deposit selected and continue I did it worked great

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies