turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have to amend my 2018 and 2019 taxes. However I dont know what one I need to amend first I have to remove a W2 from 2019 and add it to 2018. Which should I amend first?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I have to amend my 2018 and 2019 taxes. However I dont know what one I need to amend first I have to remove a W2 from 2019 and add it to 2018. Which should I amend first?

I suggest you do the 2018 first.  The 2018 return is already processed, so there will not be any conflict when you submit it.  Also, you may owe taxes and you can get that cleared up.

For 2019, wait until you get your refund or at least 3 weeks before you send the amended tax return.  This ensures that the return is process and there are no conflicts.

This may help you start on the amend process:

If you've filed your return and need to add additional information, then you will have to prepare an amended return in TurboTax.  I suggest you wait at least 3 weeks before sending it to ensure that the IRS does not confuse the returns.  You have three years to file an amended return.

If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” 

If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.” You must file a separate Form 1040X for each tax return you are amending.

Amend ONLINE    OR     Amend CD/Download       Amend 2016 - 2019

You will have to mail the amended return.  The IRS limits the system to only one Social Security number or Tax ID  to be E-Filed.  This is to guard against fraudulent tax returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I already received my 2018 taxes last year. 
I have also received my tax refund from this year. I didn’t realize I did something wrong until the State of Michigan sent me a letter in the mail. How can I amend 2018 first when 2019 would technically still have the w-2 from 2018 still attached? 

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

That’s not a problem.  If you need to amend your 2018 return, you can, without worrying about what’s on the 2019 return.  You'll be given an opportunity to explain why the return is being amended.

Then you can amend your 2019 return, as JohnB5677 describes above.

Yes but I’m not sure what you guys mean by processed? I got a letter in the mail about the 2019 taxes saying I’m not an eligible dependent (however it’s just the W2 messing everything up). Do I need to pay the money they say I owe before amending it, even though I don’t agree with owning that money?  

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

If you’ve received refunds for both your 2018 and 2019 returns, then you know that they’ve both been processed.

It sounds like the letter you got about your 2019 taxes made a tax adjustment.  Before amending your 2019 return, you should call the phone number in the letter you got in the mail, just to make sure that an amended return is necessary.

And, yes, if you do need to amend the return, you should pay the tax bill first.  Your payment isn’t an agreement on your part, it’s just the procedure that needs to be followed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies