Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have filed NY state return, but now it says it's under further review. Would will happen if I entered something incorrectly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I have filed NY state return, but now it says it's under further review. Would will happen if I entered something incorrectly?

Usually if the return is under further review, they will pass it on to processing, make mathematical corrections, or request more information.

"We received your return and may require further review."

This may result in your New York State return taking longer to process than your federal return. No further information is available at this time.

Once NY receives your return and begins to process it, the automated processing system scans it for any errors or signs of fraud. Depending on the result of that scan, they may need to manually review it. This status may update to processing again, or you may receive a request for additional information. Your return may remain in this stage for an extended period of time to allow the review. Once you return to the processing stage, your return may be selected for additional review before completing processing.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello! The status has been stuck on this message for a few weeks now

"We received your return and may require further review."

This may result in your New York State return taking longer to process than your federal return. No further information is available at this time.

Do you know how long it would take for this status to change?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

There is not an exact time for this. It would be best to contact the NY State tax department directly here, as they will be able to provide a more accurate time frame. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cindyo317
Returning Member

NY state accepted my taxes back on February 7th and it is saying that my tax refund is up for review. How much longer could it take? Please respond 

Only NYS can answer that.  It might take a while, since someone there is likely manually looking at it.  Per NYS:

We received your return and may require further review. This may result in your New York State return taking longer to process than your federal return. No further information is available at this time.

Once we receive your return and begin to process it, our automated processing system scans it for any errors or signs of fraud. Depending on the result of that scan, we may need to manually review it. This status may update to processing again, or you may receive a request for additional information. Your return may remain in this stage for an extended period of time to allow us to review. Once you return to the processing stage, your return may be selected for additional review before completing processing.

Check your refund status online 24/7! (ny.gov)

jnsummer
Returning Member

I received a notification saying my return was accepted ..

but I went on the NYC gov site and it says "We received your return and it requires further review. "

which is the source of truth?

Did you ever get a response? Mine is stuck in review as well not sure why or what to expect

Did yours ever come out of review? How long did it take?

TT gives you notification when the fed/state returns are ACCEPTED for processing ... they were not APPROVED ... that happens when they are done with the processing of the return.   How long they will take to process and approve the refund for release is unknown.   Just like everywhere else the feds/states are short handed so things are taking much longer to process  and there is nothing you can do but wait for them to finish. 

Thanks… but does sending for further review mean there is an issue with the return? Its never taken a month to process my return.

Further review could indicate an issue, or it just could be due to a general backlog.

Don't worry until you have something to worry about ... if you sent in a true and accurate return  then having the "teacher" review your "homework" should not be an issue.  If they want more info from you they will mail you a letter. 

Same for me it has been about 5-6 weeks since I filed.  From some research I’ve learned that allocating work days for NY non-residents who work in NY has become more scrutinized by the state and is  contributing to the increased review times.   With the increase in the remote and hybrid workforce, they are looking to crack down on anyone attempting to incorrectly (according to the New York “convenience of the employer” rule) allocate WFH days as non NY work days.  I’ve always allocated a small amount of days to non NY when I work at a satellite NJ office and suspect this is why my return is stuck under further review.  Is this the case for anyone else?  Has anyone been asked to verify or prove their non NY work days?

TomD8
Level 15

@ddibar339 --

New York definitely does do "residency audits."  This reference from a NY law firm gives the details on what's involved:

https://www.hodgsonruss.com/what-to-expect-in-a-new-york-residency-audit.html#:~:text=A%20New%20York....

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies