turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have already successfully filed 2020 taxes. I need help to finish filing my 2019 taxes. I'm using the TurboTax Desktop version to finalize & print. How does this work?

My taxable income was less for 2019 than 2020 but it appears 2019 taxes owed are higher than 2020. I don't understand how this is possible.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I have already successfully filed 2020 taxes. I need help to finish filing my 2019 taxes. I'm using the TurboTax Desktop version to finalize & print. How does this work?

In the FILE tab you must choose to mail in the return then the forms and instructions for mailing will be presented  or you can click on the PRINT CENTER tab and choose the all official forms option.  

print center downloaded.PNG

If you do not understand the outcome of your 2019 return, print it out and lay it side by side with your printed 2020 return BEFORE you file it.   Then compare the two returns line by line.   It will be tricky because the lines are different for 2019 and 2020 Form 1040 but you can do it if you pay close attention to what the lines represent.   Another thing to try is go to Forms mode with the desktop software for your 2019 return---maybe you will spot something.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And one other suggestion

Since you have to file 2019 by mail use a mailing service that will track it so you will know that the IRS received it.   Nothing is ever going to show up on the IRS refund site for a 2019 return so the only way you will know it was received is via tracking.   Or if you include a payment with the return, you will eventually get a cancelled check or a bank or credit card statement showing that you paid.   

Just be aware that it takes a very long time for the IRS to process mailed returns.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Ok. I think I understand the process of printing through the software.

My problem is my taxable income for 2019 was significantly less than 2020 yet it appears I owe more.

I did not pay any taxes yet for 2019 based off my 1099 MISC. 

I did successfully receive my refund for 2020.

I'm trying to confirm the numbers are correct as this is my first time filing.

What do I need to look for?

We cannot tell you specifically what to look at since we do not know anything about what you entered on those returns.   We do not know what changed from 2019 to 2020----your filing status, number of dependents, credits, deductions, etc.   so look at those.   And look to see if your 2020 Form 1040 has anything on line 30---if so that credit reduced the tax you owed for 2020.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies