turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

123-

I have 3 form 1098's the 1st is a mortgage from 2010 the 2nd is a refi from 2016 and the 3rd is a refi that combined the 1st 2 into one . how do I enter them correctly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have 3 form 1098's the 1st is a mortgage from 2010 the 2nd is a refi from 2016 and the 3rd is a refi that combined the 1st 2 into one . how do I enter them correctly?

Assuming that all three  1098 forms are for tax year 2020, enter each form separately the software will ask you questions  that the form will answer including mortgage interest paid, real estate taxes paid, points paid, if any, mortage origination date etc.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Assuming that all three  1098 forms are for tax year 2020, enter each form separately the software will ask you questions  that the form will answer including mortgage interest paid, real estate taxes paid, points paid, if any, mortage origination date etc.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

If you refinanced your 2010 mortgage in 2016, why are you getting a 2020 Form 1098 for the 2010 mortgage? Was the 2016 loan a 2nd mortgage or home equity line of credit?

If all three 1098s report mortgage interest paid in 2020, enter all of them in the "Mortgage Interest, Refinancing and Insurance" interview under Deductions and Credits > Your Home. 

Answer the interview questions carefully. Enter the 1098 for the oldest mortgage (2010 or 2016) first, then the next oldest mortgage and then the last one you took out to pay off the earlier ones.

Use "$1" as the mortgage principal balance for the all but the last mortgage, the one you took out in 2020. This will not have any effect on your tax calculation and will not generate an error in either TurboTax or with the IRS, From an economic perspective, it is accurate - you owed virtually nothing on these old, "paid-off" mortgages at the end of 2020. 

See What do I do if I have multiple 1098s from refinancing my home debt? for a more detailed explanation and instructions, if necessary.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies