Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

acoban

I had multiple 1098 forms for the same property on my return, and followed the amending steps. I was owed $843. Right before I was able to submit, I owed $400... fraud?

I think something fishy is going on... this is ridiculous. I followed these steps after getting the email from TurboTax. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amend-tax-return/help/am-i-owed-a-larger-refund-if-i-had-multiple-...

Again, I was owed $843... that's what I saw in green. By the time I got to the end right before submission, I ACTUALLY owed $400... who else had this issue?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I had multiple 1098 forms for the same property on my return, and followed the amending steps. I was owed $843. Right before I was able to submit, I owed $400... fraud?

The original return and the amendment are two different documents.  You should not do an amendment until the original has been filed, processed by the IRS, and your refund has been received.

If you have not filed the original, then you need to change the original, not do an amendment.  

acoban

I did file my return already, back in May... you misunderstood my email.

Entering multiple 1098 forms is tricky.   It sounds like there was a problem with how they were entered.  This is a long article but may help.  Attempt the amend again and follow those steps.  If you are still not getting the correct amounts, it may be worth paying a tax expert go through the amended return with you.

It looks like turbotax is cryptically admitting a bug in the interest deduction.

If you itemized, look at your schedule A to see if you deducted all your interest on your mortgage.

Note: only interest on debt that financed your purchase or improvements is deductible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies