turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cavalos1-

I got my federal taxes direct deposited I only received half of it will I receive the other half

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

60 Replies
AnthonyJ

I got my federal taxes direct deposited I only received half of it will I receive the other half

Some taxpayers may see a discrepancy in their tax refund amount.  The most common reason for this is a refund offset.  All or part of a taxpayers refund may have been used (offset) to pay off past-due federal tax, state income tax, state unemployment compensation debts, child support, spousal support, or other federal nontax debts, such as student loans. Taxpayers may also see a change in their refund amount because the IRS made a change to their tax return.

Taxpayers will receive a notice explaining the refund offset.  The notice will reflect the original refund amount, your offset amount, the agency receiving the payment, and the address and telephone number of the agency.

More information about refund offsets can be found in the following IRS Tax Topic:  Tax Topic 203 - Refund Offsets for Unpaid Child Support, Certain Federal and State Debts, and Unemployment Compensation Debts.

The IRS Where's My Refund tool will contain a disclaimer if your refund may have been offset. You'll get an explanatory letter from the government if your refund differs from what was on your filed return.

I only received $72 when supposed to receive $1596

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Please review the following FAQ: Refund amount less than expected @Redboi41.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I owe no federal debt I only got half my return where is the other half

after the IRS processes your tax return they send you the refund, if any, or a bill for more tax due. The only way to get more is to dispute in writing and show with evidence that IRS made a mistake.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. You may expect a delay if you claimed the additional child tax credit or he earned income credit. Please view this IRS link for further details. There may be some question about claiming a dependent also.

This has happened to me too this year. I've never had this happen before??? 

Triple

Why did I get only half my taxes back. I was suppose to get 749$ back and got only 400$. I don’t have kids. I don’t owe the government any money…. Why did u steal or hold me money 8 years in turbo tax never got half my money tooken I pay all my state, city, and federal taxes since I was 18 years old. Wtf happened IRS 

Triple

Seems they stealing all our USA citizens money that they owe us. Biden is stealing our federal taxes. 

@ Triple wrote:

Why did I get only half my taxes back. I was suppose to get 749$ back and got only 400$. I don’t have kids. I don’t owe the government any money…. Why did u steal or hold me money 8 years in turbo tax never got half my money tooken I pay all my state, city, and federal taxes since I was 18 years old. Wtf happened IRS 

Is the $749 you mention your expected Federal refund, or is it the sum of both a Federal and State refund?  Don't add them together.

Was the $400 you received for your Federal refund, or was it a state refund?  Who was it from?  If you have both refunds, they come separately from different places at separate times.

Your expected Federal refund amount (prior to any fees taken out) is on your Form 1040, Line 35a.

If you chose to pay your TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund, then the only thing TurboTax would take out are the product fees, possible sales tax where applicable, and a service fee of $40 for that payment option ($45 for California filers.)     If you paid your fees that way, your deposit would have come from a third-party bank that handles that payment service.   The company that handles that is Santa Barbara Tax Products Group (SBTPG).

If the IRS reduced your Federal refund, they should send you a letter explaining why in about 3 weeks or so.

Wes81

@cavalos1- @Did you find out what happened?

calapasp

I got my refund today which is more than my state refund but less than my federal refund. The deposit doesn’t specify which it was from. When am I expecting to receive the remainder of my refund? Ex. I received $500 refund today and my state tax refund is $400 but my federal refund is $1000

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

There could have been an offset or correction made to your refund by the IRS.  For more information on this, please see the Help Article here for further assistance.  If you feel like none of the scenarios mentioned fits, please reach out to the IRS.  

IRS: 800-829-1040  

Hours: 7 AM - 7 PM, local time 

Monday-Friday

• Listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • First choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

You **bleep**ing **bleep**ers are in on it. **bleep** you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies