Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I got a tax topic 151 which I know what that is but will they hold my entire refund or give me a partial that was not affected? The affected part I’m sure was my step son

@PbxBaby What is the notice telling you to do?!? 

I got a tax topic 151 which I know what that is but will they hold my entire refund or give me a partial that was not affected? The affected part I’m sure was my step son

@PbxBaby what did your letter say and what did you have to send in?

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

It sounds like you all may have a refund offset.  This is when the IRS reduces your refund to pay off delinquent debt.  If this happens, you will receive a letter explaining why your refund was offset.

Tax Topic 151 is the code referring to your right to appeal in this situation.  Read more here:  https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc151

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kingram

I’m under review for EITC as well I got the message I’m under review with tax topic 151 on 02/16/20 called in and she told me to wait 30 days from 02/14

Has anyone got a letter from the irs yet? If so what is it asking you to do ?

I have tax topic 151 what the hell do they want? Could it be because I didn’t have health insurance last year? 

@920sfinest  That could b a reason why. Have you got anything in mail from irs yet?

No but I received a partial payment from my taxes deposited into my bank today. Do you know what this means? Are they keeping the remainder?

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

920sfinest You can reach out to the IRS for more information concerning your refund. Here's how you can reach someone: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/what-if-my-irs-refund-is-taking-longer-than-21-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@920sfinest  they’ll send you something in the mail explaining what’s going on in details 

Cranman
Returning Member

Ok you guys I got the 151 on wheres my refund on Saturday and received the letter on Monday. Its basically you having to prove the EIC or EITC and head of household or the american opportunity credit(school ish that has nothing to do with me). They will ask for all supporting documents Birth certificates, ssc, scchool records, Mortgage intrest sheets, all that jazz. They will give you a fax number. I faxed all the info in on Tuesday and I also mailed in my proof with my fax conformation so they can see that I faxed as well (you know the IRS always claimed that havent received anything) with tracking to prove that it was delivered. I am going to take that information and fax all my documents again with with my mail delivery proof, and fax conformation sheet. Im not about to play with the IRS. They are nerve recking. I was just audited 3 years ago(you'd think they still have my proof in the system) for the same kids that Ive been carrying for 10+ AND THEY ARE MY KIIIIIIIDS!!! LOL!

@Cranman will I be able to send my least with my dependents on it will that work along with they ssc?

Anyone else got letter from irs yet ?!?

@dgooden90 Have you got anything in the mail yet ?

Cranman
Returning Member

Yes a lease is good or proof of upkeep of the home. Birth certificate, SSC, school records, utilitiy bills,. All has to be photo copies

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies