turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I get S.S.I. I was told to file,to get the stimulus check,. When I did,I was never asked for direct deposit info to get the check. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I get S.S.I. I was told to file,to get the stimulus check,. When I did,I was never asked for direct deposit info to get the check. What should I do?

According to information on the IRS website regarding the stimulus payments, Social Security recipients will receive their stimulus payment in the same manner as they would normally receive their benefits.  You do not need to file a tax return in order to receive the stimulus payment.  If your Social Security benefits are being direct deposited, then your stimulus payment will go to the same account.

IRS - Economic Impact Payment

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients will need to register to receive the stimulus payment if you are not otherwise required to file a tax return.  You can use the TurboTax Stimulus Registration to provide your information to the IRS, including your direct deposit information.

Use the following link to get started.  Go to the orange Register Now button that you see as you scroll down the page.

TurboTax - Stimulus Check

If you have already filed a tax return, then you will not be able to use the TurboTax Stimulus Registration.  You will need to wait until the IRS releases information about how to update your direct deposit information with them.  Those details are not yet available.  

@crzymom137

[edited 4/10/2020 | 9:30 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

According to information on the IRS website regarding the stimulus payments, Social Security recipients will receive their stimulus payment in the same manner as they would normally receive their benefits.  You do not need to file a tax return in order to receive the stimulus payment.  If your Social Security benefits are being direct deposited, then your stimulus payment will go to the same account.

IRS - Economic Impact Payment

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients will need to register to receive the stimulus payment if you are not otherwise required to file a tax return.  You can use the TurboTax Stimulus Registration to provide your information to the IRS, including your direct deposit information.

Use the following link to get started.  Go to the orange Register Now button that you see as you scroll down the page.

TurboTax - Stimulus Check

If you have already filed a tax return, then you will not be able to use the TurboTax Stimulus Registration.  You will need to wait until the IRS releases information about how to update your direct deposit information with them.  Those details are not yet available.  

@crzymom137

[edited 4/10/2020 | 9:30 am PST]

SSI recepients do not receive a 1099-SSA.  

I heard conflicting things when it comes to SSI.  I heard they need to register and I also heard that the IRS is still figuring out how they can automatically send SSI recipients the money.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

You can also register using the IRS site for non-filers:

IRS Non-filer link

About that...so you guys launched your own stimulus registration site..and now the IRS has their own.  What happens to people who already used your site?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies