turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered information for the wrong parent on form 8615 and I need to go back and change it; how can I access the parent information page again and change it??

My parents are divorced and my dad claims me as a dependent, but I put my moms information instead.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I entered information for the wrong parent on form 8615 and I need to go back and change it; how can I access the parent information page again and change it??

The IRS instructions for that form are:

If your parents were unmarried, treated as unmarried for federal income tax purposes, or separated by either a divorce or separate maintenance decree, enter the name and SSN of the parent with whom you resided for the greater part of the calendar year.

So it doesn’t matter who claims you but rather who you lived with the most nights. 

In view of the above do you still have to change your return?

WOKC

I'd like to know this information. I cannot find where to enter this information

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

You may have to step through the questions to remove unnecessary information and/or you may want to delete form 8615.

To step through the form 8615 questions, do the following:

• Down the left side, click Tax Tools.
  • Click Tools.
  • Click Topic Search.
  • Under I'm looking for, type 8615 and click Go

Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:

• In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

"Expert Alumni RobertG"

Additional help here.

This question was previously answered by  JamesG1 Employee Tax Expert at How do I clear a section on form 8615

WOKC

Thank you. I did not mention that I have turbo tax home and business.

For others with this issue or wanting to view other forms, I found that you can go to View>>Forms. From there, I could see and edit form 8615. You select view>>step by step to get back.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies