Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I e filed my federal taxes on Jan 17 and e filed my state taxes on Jan 23rd and everything is still saying pending

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I e filed my federal taxes on Jan 17 and e filed my state taxes on Jan 23rd and everything is still saying pending

You efiled early, so it's normal to still say "pending", since the IRS has not been open for routine processing.  The IRS opens up this season's processing today on Monday, January 27.  Any returns efiled before then are waiting to be accepted/rejected, except for a few returns pulled early for processing.    So hopefully, you will hear something in the next 24-48 hours about your Federal return, but there can be delays when the IRS ramps up each year, so we don't know how smoothly that will go when they start.

There is one thing I'm curious about, however.    If you efiled the Federal return separately first, normally it shouldn't have let you efile the state return by itself until after the Federal return has been accepted.   So if you efiled the Federal return on 1/17, and if it's still showing as "pending",  I'm not sure how you were able to efile the state return on 1/23.  Verify the efile status of both this way:

Log back into your TurboTax Online account and at the Tax Home, look at the specific status of both the Federal and state returns.    Does it indeed say "pending" for both of them?   Or does either one say something different than that?

I filed the same day. Both my statuses say unknown if they have been received by the irs and the irs site says nothing 

@Mmiller886 wrote:

I filed the same day. Both my statuses say unknown if they have been received by the irs and the irs site says nothing 

Log into your Online TurboTax account.  At the Tax Home what is the exact term showing for the efile status of the Federal and State returns?      It will not say "unknown."    Does it say "pending?"  If so, that's normal.

For people who filed early, it's normal for it to still be showing as "pending."  As I explained above, except for a few test returns that were pulled early,  the IRS has not opened return processing until today Monday, January 27.  So hopefully you will hear something in the next 24-48 hours if your Federal return has been accepted or rejected, although there may some delay at first due to backlog when the IRS first ramps up. 

NOTE:   You can't use the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool until 24 hours after your Federal return has been accepted.    That IRS tool won't tell you anything until then.  So there's no point in trying it until then.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies