Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I didn't receive my full federal refund

You might have been confused by the questions.   You were asked in Federal Review if you received the $1400 per person 3rd EIP ("stimulus") checks---those went out starting in mid-March.   You should have received letter 6475 for that.   If you said no to the question it would put an amount on line 30 of your tax return.  

AND you were asked if you got the advance child tax credit payments between July and December---those were monthly payments of $300 per month for children under age 6, or $250 per month for children 6 to 17.  

You could get half of the child tax credit from July to December and then get the other half as part of your refund on your 2021 return.  It shows up on line 28.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
t haya2008
Returning Member

I don't understand. I've been using TurboTax for the last good 9 years without ANY ISSUE AT ALL. I have ALWAYS GOTTEN the exact amount that they tell me at the end of processing my tax information; DIRECT DEPOSITED into my BANK ACCOUNT TOO. There were times I forgot or failed to remember certain information. TurboTax website would indicate to me that according to IRS data we have this or that. Did you get this form or that form. Sometimes their system might apply this unreported amount to your final refund after everything was said and done. Usually, Turbotax would let you know if they had made changes after you e-filed.

I don't know how you do your tax on TurboTax (on their Website or installed software), but I always did my tax right on their website using my firefox web browser on Linux Operating System. I just love TurboTax... They have done a lot of improvements to their website and tax processing, although they are starting to be bit expensive. I totally trust TurboTax and I don't work for TurboTax, although I wouldn't mind if they hire me for software development. 🙂 Final thought: Always make sure you have all the information and paper works you need right before doing your taxes.

I hope you get your issue resolved. 🙂

t haya2008
Returning Member

Manny

How are you paying for TurboTax services? With your credit card, bank card, bank account or using your money from your tax refund? If you chose the last option, then obviously TurboTax will deduct their fee from your tax refund. However, before TurboTax does that, you will have to fill out a form and give them the permission to take their fee from your tax refund. I am assuming that's what you did and had forgotten all about it.

I've been using TurboTax for the last good 9 years and I NEVER EVER HAD ANY ISSUE WITH TURBOTAX. Whatever my tax refund amount their system figures out right after I enter all of my tax information into their website is what they DIRECT DEPOSIT into my bank account. They NEVER EVER shorted me even a PENNY from my TAX REFUND. If anyone shorting your TAX REFUND, it will HAVE TO BE THE IRS NOT TURBOTAX. Before you jump to conclusion, get in TOUCH with IRS FIRST. Every other tax season, I usually get a IRS correspondent about how they owe or I owe them money usually in the amount of few hundred dollars.

I hope you get your issue resolved. 🙂

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

More details and assistance on why your refund may have been lower than expected has been provided by clicking here. Also, the TurboTax FAQ provided below will give you some more reasons as to why it may have been lower than expected. 

Why did my refund go down compared to last year's?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aprilsss

The same thing has happened to me! Exact same as all replies, did anyone figure out why and ever get the full return? 

I also did not receive my full refund. It was supposed to 2,002 dollars but I only received 604. I also got it filed and accepted on the 1st of February yet only received that fraction of it today on the 11th of March. How do I get this fixed?

@Darkpoet6492 wrote:

I also did not receive my full refund. It was supposed to 2,002 dollars but I only received 604. I also got it filed and accepted on the 1st of February yet only received that fraction of it today on the 11th of March. How do I get this fixed?

If your refund is short $1,400 then the IRS has records that show you were sent the 3rd stimulus payment so they removed the $1,400 Recovery Rebate Credit from the federal tax return Form 1040 Line 30.

If you checked your bank account in the March - May 2021 timeframe and there is not a $1,400 EIP3 payment from the IRS then go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

$1,400 is the amount of the 3rd Stimulus payment.  Did you already get the Stimulus payment they sent out last year starting March 2021? The IRS has records that show you were sent the 3rd stimulus payment so they removed the $1,400 Recovery Rebate Credit.

Do you have 1,400 on 1040 line 30?  You might have tried to claim it again.   Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

Did you get IRS letter 6475 saying what they sent you?  If you didn't get the IRS letter 6475 saying what they sent you then check your bank statements and check your IRS account to see when and what they sent you.

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

Request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Serv

I submitted my federal and state to be reviewed. It was accepted and never changed. However when I looked at bank notice. A lesser amount showed around a 2000.00+ less than I expected. Also received an email saying they received my change to assess my amount but I did not make a change on my return. Can't get a real person from turbo or irs to explain what assessment I made that changed my refund. That would be stupid on my part. I want my turbotax I filed and they agreed to pay. Don't understand because my status has remained the same as what irs accepted and recording says they are still working on it.

Hi if I received letter 6475 and my hubby received too I need to add all together right and put the total amount of mines and hubby EIP to the recovery rebate? Which is line 30?thanks waiting for reply.

@ezekielalexzander wrote:

Hi if I received letter 6475 and my hubby received too I need to add all together right and put the total amount of mines and hubby EIP to the recovery rebate? Which is line 30?thanks waiting for reply.

The Form 1040 Line 30 is only used for the EIP3 that you did NOT receive.

Yes you need to add letters 6475 together and enter the total so it does NOT give you it again on line 30.  Line 30 is only if  you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more (like if you add a new dependent).  

That’s why I had letter CP12 from IRS and I made a mistake about recovery rebate instead of putting 5600 I just add 2800 on it that’s why they adjust it and lower my refund.this is so frustrating specially if you prepared it yourself.they said I can mailed it but I don’t know what to put in my letter. 

Staciem13
Returning Member

I revived my tax refund after a month and a half of filing. My ex husband and I both filed the same day. We were both shorted 3,000$ each and we didn’t receive anything from the irs saying why. I don’t understand what happened! 

@Staciem13 wrote:

I revived my tax refund after a month and a half of filing. My ex husband and I both filed the same day. We were both shorted 3,000$ each and we didn’t receive anything from the irs saying why. I don’t understand what happened! 

Does the IRS federal tax refund website shows the amount sent is less than what was reported on your tax return? - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If so, you will need to wait for the IRS to send you a letter which will have the changes the IRS made to the return which changed the refund.  If you disagree with the IRS there will be a procedure in the letter to dispute the IRS changes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies