I can't remember if I filed as dependent or independent. How can I find out?

If you have a Form 1040 or Form 1040-A as your main form, see if the box on line 6a is checked.  If so, you are not filing as a dependent (i.e. you are claiming yourself). If it is not checked, you are filing as a dependent, and someone else can claim you.

If you have a Form 1040-EZ as your main form, see if the box on line 5 is checked.  If so, you are filing as a dependent (i.e. not claiming yourself).

Your Form 1040 will be included in your 2016 tax return. Here's how you can download/print your tax return filed in TurboTax Online:

• Sign into your Turbo Tax online account.
  • From the Welcome Back screen, select Visit My Tax Timeline
  • From the list of Some Things You Can Do on your Tax Timeline, select Download /Print My Return (PDF
  • Create the PDF of your tax return.Then open the PDF and scroll to your Form 1040.

I don’t even have a line 6a? I think I filed as independent, but I didn’t get a stimulus check, so I’m checking to see. 

Same for me I'm in the same boat

The question about whether you can be claimed as a dependent is on the Form 1040, directly under the Address section. It says: Someone can claim  (box) You as a deduction. If the box is checked, you are a dependent. If it is unchecked you are not a dependent. 

@Ashtonw21  @AlanTalarczyk

i have the same issue, did you ever figure it out?

For 2019 look at your 1040 page 1.  If you are a dependent the box will be checked.  If you are independent and claiming yourself the box is not checked.

1040 2019 Claim.jpg