turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can't pay to amend my return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

It should not cost you anything to amend your return unless whatever you are changing when you amend requires you to upgrade to a higher version of the software.  Why are you amending?   What are you changing?  What version of the software did you use when you filed your original return?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have received several notices from irs since I went thru turbo tax the irs accepted fr uy taxes on 2/22/2021 I have tried several times to amend on my log in it know wants me to pay 70 dollars to amend I have no money im loosing our home I can't get the $250.00child payments for my son that started in July I havnt received 1 payment my advocate from irs said not till y amend y taxes and turbo tax put my pua unemployment in the wrong line it was entered in earned income line it was not to be counted as earned Income please help I have no income to pay to amend .Thank you Jennifer Fuentes

Amending your tax return is not going to get you those monthly child tax credit payments.   It takes the IRS over six months to process an amended return, and having an amended return pending in the system affects your eligibility for the monthly CTC payments.    If you are not receiving them at this time you will have to wait and get the CTC on your 2021 tax return when you file it in 2022.  Sorry.

You say you have received several notices from the IRS but you do not say what the notices tell you to do.  Did the notices tell  you to amend and send a Form 1040X?

TurboTax would not have "put" your unemployment in the wrong place, but you as the user may have done that if you entered your 1099G for the unemployment in the wrong place.  It was supposed to be entered under Federal>Wages & Income>Unemployment----not sure what you did----did you enter it as a W-2 by mistake?

If you used the Free Edition I think you do have to upgrade to Deluxe to amend and enter unemployment compensation.   I do not know any way around that unless you get the paper form and amend on paper.   But even if you do that, it will take many months for the amended return to be processed.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies