turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I amended my 2021 tax return for the unemployment refund, well I still get the child tax credit that I qualify for?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I amended my 2021 tax return for the unemployment refund, well I still get the child tax credit that I qualify for?

You must mean that you amended your 2020 return since no one has filed a 2021 tax return yet---that will happen next year in 2022.    We cannot see what you changed on your tax return when you amended so cannot say if you will get the child tax credit.   What did you change?   Did you change something about a dependent you claimed on your return?   You were not supposed to amend for the unemployment tax law change since the IRS is taking care of that and does not want amended returns for that change----did you already send it?   

As for the child tax credit monthly payments that begin in July, here is some information that may help:

That CTC increase is not for 2020;  it is for 2021.   Your 2020 return does not have to be amended for it.  More information will be available soon; the details of how it will be implemented have not yet been clarified fully.  

There will be monthly child tax credit payments going out beginning in July 2021, with some of the CTC still left as a refundable credit on your 2021 tax return next year.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/01/1393859...

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-two-new-online-tools-to-help-families-manage-child-tax-cr...

IRS.gov/childtaxcredit2021

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/602921/child-tax-credit-update-irs-sending-letters-to-families-who-m...

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/602431/child-tax-credit-2021-who-gets-3600-will-i-get-monthly-paymen...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes I meant 2020. I went through my TurboTax filed return which was done in March before the unemployment refund law had been signed. My earned income credit went up after I amended the return, and I did qualify for the child tax credit. With  my return being in the amended stage at this point disqualify me from getting the payments until it is processed?

Again---we cannot see your tax return.    If you claimed a child on your 2020 return and that child qualifies you to receive the advance child tax credit monthly payments you will start getting them in July.    If there is something about your entries that makes qualifying for the CTC "iffy" then you can reconcile the CTC when you prepare your 2021 return next year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

From what I understand turbotax screwed everybody is everybody in telling them to amend when they weren't supposed to and when they weren't supposed to myself included. I was set to receive the CTC payments starting July 15 eman starting July 15th but now because I decided to listen to if is I decided to listen to turbotax and amend my 2020 return my 2020 return now my payments are pending my payments are pending and I'm not getting payments until until the return is finished processing. From what I understand you will not get back payment is back payment if you miss any of those months. You will have to claim any missed CTC payments on your 2021 tax return

Thank you for this! I was stressing out because my CTC says "pending". I assumed it was because TurboTax told me to amend my return (back in May) because I became eligible for the EIC after the unemployment change, and this verifies it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies