turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kuwill2003
Returning Member

I am on Social Security but filed taxes because I thought I needed too for stimulus

My only income is Social Security. I do not typically file but did a few weeks ago because I thought I had to for the stimulus payment. I am 72 but my son takes care of me and claims head of household.  Did I just ruin my chance to get the stimulus because I filed my 2019 taxes and claimed that I am a dependent even though I now find out I didnt need to file and it would have automatically been sent to me?  Also, I am concerned because Turbo Tax didnt ask for direct deposit info since I was getting no refund and dont make enough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I am on Social Security but filed taxes because I thought I needed too for stimulus

Please file an amended tax return, Form 1040X indicating that you are not a dependent on another person's tax return if your son has not been claiming you as an "other dependent" on his tax return but has been using you only to qualify as Head of Household.   

Being the qualifying relative for Head of Household is not the same as being a dependent.  

If you are a dependent, you are not eligible for the economic impact payment.  If you are not, you are still eligible.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kuwill2003
Returning Member

Thank you for your response. I guess I am not sure if he claims me as a dependent or relative. Where would that be listed?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, I believe that only if you are NOT a dependent would the IRS send you a stimulus payment by way of your Social Security payments.  

That is the way it has been explained to tax professionals, but things can change. 

kuwill2003
Returning Member

Thank you for your response. I guess I am not sure if he claims me as a dependent or relative. Where would that be listed on his return. Thank you so much again for the help.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, ask your son if he claims you as a dependent. He can claim you for head of household and you would both get stimulus. You and /or he may want to amend returns. He only gets $500 for claiming you as a dependent - if he does.

kuwill2003
Returning Member

Thanks Amy. Sorry, I am a little confused. He does claim me  for head of household since he takes care of the expenses. Doesn't that make me a dependent of his? On my return I answered YES to the question that "someone can claim me as a dependent" since he is head of household. Is that not correct

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

That is correct and unfortunately you are not eligible for a stimulus payment since you are a dependent. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies