Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

K_Chacon

I accidentally sent payment to the wrong tax year bill?

@Megbritton Yikes. I’m sorry to hear that. I was rooting for you since you were the first one to get a hold of the IRS. Hopefully the amount you paid gets sorted out to the right year. I paid a couple thousands to the wrong year and would have been devasted if it wasn’t fixed.  

K_Chacon

@Gcohen89 yes they do have a problem, Ive gone back to make another payment and it doesn’t give you the option to select any year. It automatically defaults to 2018. Maybe they’ll realize it when they have thousands of people sending in money for 2018. 

Gcohen89
Returning Member

YES! Exactly. It auto selects 2018 and gives you NO other option to choose 2021. I’ve checked a bunch of times and every time I try to pay for 2021 it shows as tax year: 2018 and won’t let me change it 

Creed33

Same thing the last 2 months, only mine applies to 2017. I have also got 2 letters with $15 late fees and my balance on the 2019 hasn’t changed. This is unreal! Not a prayer getting ahold of anyone 

Bee1021

This happened to me too! I sent 1000$ in, all happy that I’m taking care of business, then I see the confirmation and it says tax year 2018! I login, and I have a penalty on my 2021 taxes for a late payment, but there’s the 1000$ happily sitting in the 2018 payment history. I am pregnant and had an absolute meltdown, I don’t make a lot of money and 1000$ is a lot for me. This thread is reassuring that it’ll be sorted out, but I’m still going to try to call on Monday.

Gcohen89
Returning Member

Update: So the IRS self corrected the issue and sent me a letter a couple weeks after my payemtn saying they applied the 2018 payment to my 2021 balance. So the issue is corrected. If you try to login to your irs account and make more payment it STILL tries to apply ot to 2018 for some reason, so, I've found a way around this error. Instead of logging in, just choose to make a GUEST PAYMENT on the irs site, type in your info, and it will let you specify the exact year . That's the only way I've been able to make payments for 2021 lately!

Gcohen89
Returning Member

Update for me: So the IRS self corrected the issue and sent me a letter a couple weeks after my payemtn saying they applied the 2018 payment to my 2021 balance. So the issue is corrected. If you try to login to your irs account and make more payment it STILL tries to apply ot to 2018 for some reason, so, I've found a way around this error. Instead of logging in, just choose to make a GUEST PAYMENT on the irs site, type in your info, and it will let you specify the exact year . That's the only way I've been able to make payments for 2021 lately!

justhere

Same thing for me. I set up a payment plan with the IRS for 2021 tax year. I sent about 6 payments before I realized it was going to 2018 (which makes no sense because I followed from a letter saying to set up payment for 2021). Ive gotten letters in the mail about overpaying to 2018, but the balance has not been corrected. My balance shows much higher than what I owe. Of course I call the number and not only is there no prompt for this but I cant get through. Has anyone had any help 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

For assistance with this, you will have to speak to the IRS.
How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?
@justhere

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies