turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gunton36

I accidentally selected savings instead of checking. Will that be an issue?

Will I still receive my return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ddaven12

As long as the routing and account numbers match up with your name it will usually be deposited.

The only exception to this would be the operating procedures of your bank, which in general will accept it and process it as normal. In the event that your deposit is rejected by your bank, it would then be returned to the Department of the Treasury and a check issued instead. To be on the safe side you could always contact your bank and inform them of the issue.

It’s a turbo debit card, that I am using and I accidentally clicked the savings instead of checking... I really hope it’s not rejected and I have to wait for a check:/ What do you think will happen in this instance? Plus, how long are they taking to deposit the funds? Thanks 

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@Martina75 As long as you entered the correct routing and account numbers, you should be fine.

Once your tax return is accepted, it generally takes 21 days or less to receive your refund.  You can track your refund status at the IRS Where's My Refund? site. 

Keep in mind, "It takes additional time for refunds to be processed after leaving the IRS, and for financial institutions to accept and deposit them to bank accounts and products like debit cards."  Reference:  IRS.gov - Refund Timing

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’m sorry, I meant for the stimulus payment... I went on to the portal on the IRS website, and it said to enter the account information to where you want your payment to be deposited. But I accidentally clicked the savings option instead of the checking. This is for the turbo debit card from the TurboTax issued “card / account” that I got my refund on a couple weeks ago.

PLUS: Do you know if (according to the community site with Turbo Tax, stimulus payment topic) I had tax prep fees, the payment would be deterred back to the Treasury Department and issued as a check? I just need to know what to expect, and how to plan my next couple weeks financially, if that’s the case. So it’s important that I get a clear answer on this issue. And I’m also wonder, for a relative here who’s asking, if these payments have a possibility of being garnished for any child support case, through California state? Or has anybody come across this incident, that your aware of? Please advise, Thanks 😉 

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

The choice of savings or checking shouldn't make a difference in my experience, as long as you entered the correct account number.

It is my understanding as well that you will get a check if you had a third party bank involved with your refund because you had TurboTax fees deducted from your refund or a refund advance.

Child support will normally result in a garnishment.

What about Bank of America? I unfortunately made the same mistake 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This Turbo Tax FAQ will show you how to add or update your bank information. 

Where do I enter my bank's routing or account number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-enter-my-bank-s-routing-or-acco...

@Jake Richard

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies