turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally marked "someone can claim" me as a dependent but no one did.

I accidentally marked "someone can claim" me as a dependent because I thought my mom would but I made too much in 2019 and she didn't end up claiming me. I'm going to send in an amendment to correct this error but I'm wondering if this will affect my right to a stimulus check for COVID-19. Will I be considered a dependent even though no one ended up claiming me? Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

225 Replies

Same question exactly. Looking forward to seeing a response!

Ditto.  I marked my oldest son who lives at home as "someone can claim" and his return has already been processed.  However, on starting our joint parent return, it says he made more than the $4200 limit.  Question 1, why didn't TTax flag this at the time of filling out his return?  Question 2, once I file our joint return, do I need to amend his?

Nothing official has been posted yet ... however you can amend the return BUT it most likely will not be processed fast enough to catch the 2020 stimulus check ... so your only option will be to wait to get what you can (if any) on the 2020 return ....

Specific guidance has not been provided as far as how the stimulus checks will be sent out.  

Please refer to the IRS link below for updates regarding any tax relief.

IRS Corona Virus Tax Relief

You can also check back to our page for updates as well.  

Covid-19 Tax updates

Did anyone get any clarification on this, I'm in the same situation now thinking its likely I will not get a check, which is unfortunate. 

Nope, I still need guidance. I'm hoping they check via social security number rather than checking every tax return? that seems like it would be the easier way to determine eligibility anyways. 

That would be ideal, cause like you, I’m not even eligible to be a dependent. Seems to me amending would be a wash in terms of getting money this month from the stimulus. I have a gut feeling if it’s marked on the 1040 as someone can claim you, we may be out of luck, but let’s hope for the best. 

Also hoping  it makes a difference whether someone actually claims you on another tax return.

I'm in the same boat. I thought my parents were still claiming me as a dependent so I marked the box. After talking to my dad, he said they haven't claimed me for a couple of years.... Reeeeally hoping for that stimulus check cuz god **bleep** we need it.

I'm in the same boat as everyone else 😕 kinda good to know I'm not the only one who messed that up tho lol

I’m in the same situation as well I marked I could and was claimed but my mom said she wasn’t claiming me . I filed first and it was accepted she hasn’t filed yet. So I hope they do check SSN instead of going off of the return..so stressful 

ghosts02

My boyfriend (of 22 years) and i both accidentally hit the box "someone can claim me as a dependent". Nobody can claim either of us. I'm 42 and he's 55. Both of my parents and his parents are deceased and there's literally nobody who can claim us. We're both terrified this will mess with us getting stimulus checks because we won't survive without that money. We're running out of food and we're about to lose our house (we rent) and everything we own. I'm worried to the point of throwing up daily and my hair is falling out. I really hope they go by social security numbers so they will see NOBODY can claim us. 

So sorry for your situation. The worst part is that i feel like unless you work for the IRS, you won’t know the answer to the question. I emailed my tax professor last night and will post his answer if he has any insight.

The only way I could qualify is if I was a full time student and parents were paying tuition, but that’s not the case so ya hopefully if they go by social security they can see that. 

@bloomj, please let us know what your professor says.

Manage cookies