Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to print Schedule 1 if I didn’t file one?

My city requires that I file Federal Schedule 1 with my tax return. My Federal Tax filing did not include a Schedule 1 because there was no relevant data to report.

I am able to pull up the (empty) Schedule 1 in the TurboTax application, but there does not seem to be a way to print/export to PDF.

How can I print/export to PDF my Schedule 1?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

What city is this?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Montgomery, OH

http://www.montgomeryohio.org/download/tax-forms/2019-IR-Line-by-Line-Instructions.pdf

Excerpt:

IMPORTANT!: Due to changes in the Federal tax forms for 2019, it is necessary to submit the following forms in order for your tax return to be considered complete: Copies of all W-2 forms, page 1 of the Federal 1040 form, and Federal Schedule 1. If applicable, please submit all supporting Federal Schedules for income shown on Lines 3, 4, 5 and 6 of the Federal Schedule 1 form (i.e., Schedule C, Schedule E, Schedule F, and Form 4797). Please help us use your tax dollars wisely by including this information with your Montgomery tax form. Incomplete returns could be subject to late filing penalties.

The workaround is to enter my name and SSN in a blank Schedule 1 from the IRS, but it would be nice if I could just print it from TurboTax since the form IS actually there (I can pull it up, but just not print).

Sorry ... but the program will not populate an unneeded form ... get one from the IRS and simply enter your name & SS# on the top and hand in the useless form. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

you can download the form from the IRS website but you can not merge it with a pdf of your return without special software like Adobe  - there's a fee for this type of software.   at your own risk, you can search the web for free software.  perhaps simplest, assuming you can, is to print out your forms and mail them in 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Honestly, the City of Montgomery needs to update its instructions and it FAQ.

As Critter-3 implies, Schedule 1 will not always print, because there are plenty of taxpayers who would have no entries on that form.

The FAQ on the City website states "(attach) a copy of the front page of the Federal 1040 Form, including all federal schedules that per...".

This is, of course, hopelessly out of date, since it refers to lines on the 2017 1040 (these lines changed in 2018 and again in 2019). The point of it was to ask you to add any forms that refer to Schedule C, Schedule E, Schedule F, or Other Income.

The instructions you quote ("Copies of all W-2 forms, page 1 of the Federal 1040 form, and Federal Schedule 1. If applicable, please submit all supporting Federal Schedules for income shown on Lines 3, 4, 5 and 6 of the Federal Schedule 1 form (i.e., Schedule C, Schedule E, Schedule F, and Form 4797") have the same intent, but fail to address the situation that you might not have any of these income items so don't have or need a Schedule 1.

I am willing to bet that if you called the City Income Tax Office at

Phone: (513) 792-8333
Fax: (513) 891-2994
Email: tax@montgomeryohio.org

that they would tell you to skip the Schedule 1 in your case.

However, if you don't want to wait until Monday, then do as Critter-3 says and just add a blank Schedule 1 to your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies