turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to get refund back after offset occurs?

After getting absolutely no help from department of ed the irs or top I did some digging and ended up getting my offset suspended.Although they still might offset My refund still (because I had already filed and the notification may not reach TOP in time) I will still be able to receive my full refund. Once I did the l digging, I took the information back to all agencies involved and then they reluctantly gave me a lil bit more info. Don't give up. My persistence brought success.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I'm in the same boat! What digging did you do to get the offset reverse yourself? Elaborate on where and what to dig for please! My problem is my new wife's old student loans! I didn't know or ever heard to she had the loans before we married!

I'm in the same boat too! How did you get it suspended? I'm having trouble navigating all of this.
Tiki

If an offset does occurs after the collections process was suspended, the agency that issues the offset is responsible for returning the funds. You would contact them directly to begin the refund process. 

For more information on Frequently Asked Questions, please visit the Treasury Offset Program FAQs.

Travlee40

I just had my tax refund taken an was counting on the money to get back on my feet I lost my job several monthes ago an I'm homeless an dont even have a car and needed the money to get back on my feet how did u get yours back please what do I do

Depending on what the offset was for, they are issuing refunds for that offset because of the coronavirus. 

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

You can start by trying to verify whether your refund has been applied to any debt, and check its current status, by calling the Bureau of the Fiscal Service's Treasury Offset Program (TOP).  

You'll find the number in the IRS' Topic Number 203 - Reduced Refund.  The TOP should be able to provide you with the status of any refund offset.

Based on whatever information you get there, you can call the IRS and check the status there.  For telephone assistance, see Telephone and Local Assistance at the IRS' Let Us Help You page. 

Finally, if you run into a brick wall with the IRS – which, in this exceptional time, is possible -- you might consider contacting the Taxpayer Advocate Service.  Please see Taxpayer Advocate Service for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Travlee40

The offset was over a student loan will I get that back over the cova 19 virus

Travlee40

The offset was over a student loan are they refunding those over corona virus god I hope so was counting on that money to get back on my feet been homeless for a few monthes now an now this virus stuff has work an any hope I had I lost over offset

Call the Department of Education. They’re refunding them. Good luck! Stay safe and stay strong. @Travlee40 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@dollface122882 If this is putting you into financial hardship, please see this link: Taxpayer Advocate Service

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies