turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to find out what is missing on my Tax Return

I submitted my tax return electronically back in Jan. Before COVID-19, I had checked online and on the phone about my status. Online it said it was still processing. When I used information I gained here to get through the maze of the phone system (thank you) I discovered that apparently there was something missing. Though the woman couldn't tell me what was missing, she said call back in a week something would happen after a certain number of days. She also said a letter was sent (I never received). I rechecked all the information on my submitted return and couldn't see anything missing. The next week I was planning to call back, but they shut down the phone lines. The IRS owes me a significant amount and I'd like to know what I can do to make sure my submitted tax return has all the appropriate items.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS is currently limited in its operations so you may have to wait a bit longer to contact them. 

IRS operations

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

I have included a link to assist you once they are open and taking calls again.

IRS refund status

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is there a way to determine if my submitted tax return has all the appropriate items? If I'm missing something, i.e. some form that wasn't attached by Turbo Tax for some reason, is there a way for me to find that out?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

No, there is no way for TT to do it. However, there are a couple of ways you can verify yourself. 1) Do a line by line comparison of 2019 and 2018. If you see there are differences, understand why. 2) Request an IRS transcript here and see if everything that the IRS has on file is also reported on your return. When e-filing a tax return, any attachments that are required are added in electronic format to the return.

Only very rarely are taxpayers asked to attached a printed form to their e-filed return (which does mean that they have to print their return, add the form, and mail it).

Otherwise, this is a self-prepared return, and you are ultimately responsible for checking the numbers and the forms.

Help us help you if you see something missing.

[Edited 07/14/2020 12:45 pm CDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies