Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kdeemer

How to file an amended form 1041

I e filed my federal form 1041 and immediately realized that I had incorrect information. I want to file an amended return. TurboTax business led me through the steps of but seems to have only come up with a new return. Nothing indicates that it is amended 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

"How to file an amended form 1041"

An amended Form 1041 is not like an amended 1040; there is no "Form 1041X".

You simply check the "Amended return" box in Item F, change the figures (or any other information) that need(s) to be changed, and provide a statement explaining the lines that were changed. 

TurboTax Business will check the "Amended return" box for you and present an statement where you can explain what you changed from the original return you filed.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

"How to file an amended form 1041"

An amended Form 1041 is not like an amended 1040; there is no "Form 1041X".

You simply check the "Amended return" box in Item F, change the figures (or any other information) that need(s) to be changed, and provide a statement explaining the lines that were changed. 

TurboTax Business will check the "Amended return" box for you and present an statement where you can explain what you changed from the original return you filed.

Where should the original payment amount be entered on the amended return? Line 26?
awinterb

Yes, where?

I think the original payment should be reported on Line 25a, even though it says it is for estimated payments and an amount applied from the prior year.  Then you can include Line 25a in your list of differences between the original return and the amended return.  And your explanation of that difference is the payment made with the original return.  That way the amended 1041 will flow down to the updated refund amount or the updated balance due.  
joegetit

Can an amended 1041 Trust U.S. Income Tax Return be filed electronically?  If so, how can it be done using

TurboTax?

Sorry ... it must be mailed in. 

So what address are these amended 1041's mailed to?  There's no address on the return I completed in TurboTax for Business.

I amended form 1041, when i go to e-file i get a response that the form has alredy been sent

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to mail in your amended 1041. Please see "Where To File Your Taxes" for Form 1041 for where to mail it.

@BobH57

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

In Turbotax Business, how do I e-file an Amended 1041 after I e-filed the original 1041? When I try to e-file the amended 1041, Turbotax will not allow me to e-file it. It keeps showing the filing accepted status of the ORIGINAL 1041.

7734xden

my question was concerning filing an amended 1040 for 2020

I had the exact same problem. Turbotax Business does not support e-filing Amended 1041s.  As a test, I saved the amended 1041 as a tester file, then changed the FEIN to a fake number. Turbotax Business recognized the fake return as an amended return. Although I certainly was not going to e-file the fake  return, as soon as I let the program know that I  wanted to e-file, a window popped up saying that I could not e-file an amended 1041.  I wish that the same window popped up when I tried to e-file the actual amended 1041. It would have save a lot of time.  Oth

@7734xden   Even though you might be able to prepare an amended return for 2020 online you have to print and mail it.  How to amend 2020

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-2020-return/L3XdA1Pw8_U... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies