Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mont1738

How long is the pending process

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

41 Replies
ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

E-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 24-48 hours before coming back as either Accepted or Rejected. Sometimes state returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer.

For more information please click the link.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4193097

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why isn't my Federal accepted yet ? It's been over 24 and 48 hours !! More like days  since I e-filed

You can expect to be in pending for a few weeks since the IRS will not be accepting returns until January 27.  Right now your returns are just sitting on the server.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-opens-2020-filing-season-for-individual-filers-on-jan-27

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No, because my friend did hers same time & hers were accepted the next day!

@Jami83 There have been a few small test batches accepted to try out the system before they start accepting/rejecting returns on Jan, 27.

Here is the announcement from the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-opens-2020-filing-season-for-individual-filers-on-jan-27

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My state and federal return were recieved and accepted within 3 days of filing last year. Now it's been longer than thst and it's still in pending. I am the only person who is dealing with this thst I know of. Other people who used different software have already had their state returns accepted.  What is so different with Turbo Tax this year?

@mslena8297 

Your return is still in pending on the server because the IRS will not begin to accept/reject/process returns until January 27.  Only a few returns were accepted early in a test batch.  Everyone else has to wait.

So watch your emails and spam folder to make sure you know after Jan. 27 if your return was accepted or rejected.

IRS just opened today to begin accepting/rejecting I had mine sitting since the 15th but finally says it’s transmitted so now it should take 24-48 hrs 

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Pending simply means that your e-filed return is on its way and that the government hasn't accepted or rejected it yet.

If you e-filed your return in January, it'll stay in Pending status until the IRS starts processing the backlog of returns.

After January, e-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 24–48 hours before coming back as either Accepted or Rejected. Sometimes state returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer. For more information, please click here.

Mine also just updated with a new pending date for today and also says the IRS has received them. Just have to patiently wait now... It's only the first day they are open.

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Pending simply means that your e-filed return is on its way and that the government hasn't accepted or rejected it yet.

If you e-filed your return in January, it'll stay in Pending status until the IRS starts processing the backlog of returns which officially began today, 01/27/2020.

After January, e-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 24–48 hours before coming back as either Accepted or Rejected. Sometimes state returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer. For more information, please click here.

I JUST FILED LESS THAN 15 MIN AGO STATE AND FEDERAL AND MY FEDERAL WAS ACCEPTED ALREADY LIKE 5 MINUTES AGO SO WHY DIDNT MY STATE GET ACCEPTED YET

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Your state may not start processing tax returns at the same time as the IRS.  In January and early February, it is common for e-filed state returns to remain in pending status even after your federal return is accepted.  

Source:  Why is my state e-file still pending?

I submitted my refund 1/29 at 8 pm and my status is still pending. Where is says "Recieved by IRS" the status is unkown. Its now 36 hours later. What is going on? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies