Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How long does it take to receive an amended refund

Amended returns that you have to mail to the IRS since they cannot be e-filed do Not have a direct deposit option.  A refund from an amended return, form 1040X, will be sent by the IRS as check to the address shown on the amended return.

That's not true. If you were originally set up for direct deposit or the turbo tax card through turbo tax that will be the way u will receive it. 

They only mail checks for refunds.  No Direct Deposit.

See 1040X instructions top of page 17

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf

It says.....You will receive a check for any refund due to you. A refund on an amended return can’t be deposited directly to your bank account.

Ok my amendment was complete on the 12/30/2019 but a check was sent out on the 12/20/19 of December why haven’t I received it can anyone tell me how much long to wait or Has this happened to one of yall

When you get a refund for an amended tax return the IRS mails you a check. No one at TurboTax can track that check for you. If it does not arrive soon you will need to call the IRS. 800-829-1040

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

When will I receive my refund taxes

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS issues most refunds in about 21 days, although some returns take more time to review.

To find out where your refund is, first check your e-file status. If it's been processed and accepted, you can begin to track your refund at the IRS Where's My Refund? site.

When will I get my IRS tax refund? - Community

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did it took under 6 weeks to get yours ? 

Did you file your amended return? I need to file mine too but turbo tax keeps changing the date. I seen on another forum someone got their refund in 5 weeks. 

@Gdarwish 

I see you cheered my above comment.  However, that comment was from 2014, and has some outdated info in it.     This is an old thread from several years ago that transferred into this new community forum in June 2019.  Unfortunately, all those old threads were given a June 2019 date instead of keeping their original dates.  So many threads in this forum can actually be quite old if they appear to have a date around the end of May 2019 or early June 2019.

It was in 2014 that the IRS was saying "up to 12 weeks."  Currently the IRS website says it can take "up to 16 weeks" to process an amended return.

JasK1

If you amend your return before receiving your refund, does all of your refund come as a check or just the difference?

@ JasK1 wrote:

If you amend your return before receiving your refund, does all of your refund come as a check or just the difference?

Normally you shouldn't amend your return until you receive the original refund.   If you did already amend it, however, then if your original refund is approved as filed, and if there are no complications, you normally will still get the original refund by whatever method you originally selected.   Did you choose direct deposit?  For any return, there are some less-common circumstances where the IRS can choose to use a check even if direct deposit was selected, but that is not the usual situation.  The odds are that if the original refund is approved, you will still get it by whatever method you selected.  You can monitor it at the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool to see once released, how it's being sent:
https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If you are due additional refund from the amended return, it will come as a check.  It can take the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return.  Three weeks after mailing the amended return, you can monitor it with this tool:

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Charles0690
Returning Member

How long is it going to take me to get my amended tax return

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

How long do it take to get my refund back

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies