Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long does it take for the irs to accept a return?

I e-filed on 01/31/17, it said it would take 24-48 hrs. I still haven't been notified that my return has been received.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

50 Replies
nicauryy86
Returning Member

How long did it take for them to accept your return
Patrice

It can vary but typically it takes 24-48 hours. However, for some taxpayers, the identity-protection safeguards implemented by the IRS in recent years may account for longer wait times.

No two returns are alike, and many different factors can affect the timing of your refund after the IRS receives your return for processing.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3319882

Once you've been accepted, start tracking your federal refund at the IRS Where's My Refund site.

Last year 2019 i was notified with in 24 hours this year i filed the third and have not been nitified that it has been accepted yet makes me wonder whats going on

@martinjulie18  The IRS has not begun to accept/reject 2019 returns yet.  They will start that on January 27, so right now your return is sitting on the server.  Do not try to change anything on it.  Sometime after 1-27 you will get the email that tells you if your return is accepted or rejected.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-opens-2020-filing-season-for-individual-filers-on-jan-27

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ileana413

I filed my Mom's taxes 1/3/20 and her return was accepted Monday, 1/13/20 so they have started accepting returns already this year. 

Did they get back to you yet on acceptence?

@EdgeOfEarth A few returns have been accepted in small test batches.  Everyone else gets to wait until January 27

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-opens-2020-filing-season-for-individual-filers-on-jan-27

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The IRS doesn’t start accepting returns until the 23rd, so you should receive a notification within the next couple of days 

I efiled mine on the 22nd and both state and federal have been accepted today the 23rd of January 

I think they do some trial ones early. Mine is the same as hers, but I claim a child. I checked my status on here yesterday and it said it was expected to be accepted on the 28th. So I guess you’re right it’s a case by case. It’s a waiting game for all of us. Lol

@DDURHAM81 wrote:

THATS NOT ACTUALLY TRUE. MY DAUGHTER FILED ON 1/14 AND HER REFUND WAS ACCEPTED ALREADY. SHE FILED A 1040EZ, WHEREAS MINE WAS NOT AS SIMPLE. SO I THINK ITS CASE BY CASE. CLAIMING EIC, ACTC MAY PLAY A FACTOR ON ACCEPTANCE AS WELL. 

There has not been a Form 1040EZ or a 1040A since tax year 2017.  All federal tax returna are now on a Form 1040 only.

The IRS pulls test batches of tax return for testing the IRS systems.  This happens every single tax year.

The vast majority of tax returns have to wait until the IRS officially opens on January 27 - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-opens-2020-filing-season-for-individual-filers-on-jan-27

Netty1985

They were test batches it doesn’t matter what your claiming or how you file the irs won’t accept until the 27th. Your daughter filed early and ended up being one of the lucky ones in the test batching process.

OH SWEET!

Mommy_3x

I wonder how true that is because my coworker with no children filed hers and it was accepted already.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies