Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do you talk to an IRS agent to get trying status

I was wondering how do you actually get to a live person at the IRS to find out what is going on with my refund?

I have called [phone number removed] but the only options I get are where it just repeats what is on the website or the mobile app.

But it has been 28 days since my e-file was received, so it is past the 21 day junction where they day took call to check on it.

But I can't find away to get a real person too find out what is going on.

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Many different factors can affect the timing of your refund after the IRS receives your return. Even though they issue most refunds in less than 21 days, it's possible your refund may take longer if it:

• Includes errors
  • Is incomplete
  • Is affected by identity theft or fraud
  • Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit. See Q&A below.
  • Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation PDF, which could take up to 14 weeks to process
  • Needs further review in general.

Where’s My Refund? will give you a personalized date after we process your return and approve your refund.

You can also fill out Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance. The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS and is your voice at the IRS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So what do they mean to call to check on the status if it is going to give you the same status that the website or app show you? I thought you would be able to talk to someone to find out specifically what is going on.

So it looks like I just need to sit and wait until they change the status and provide an actual date for deposit correct? Or fill the Form 911 and ask them to look into it?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

There are a lot of delays for federal refunds this year. The IRS is working overtime to get stimulus payments sent out to you and process your tax returns. Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue: Please visit here and see all services that have slowed down or been delayed due to Covid-19.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Than I appreciate. I am only just wondering since my tax return has some home energy credits that I need to use to pay towards the loan for the home energy product and the due date is coming up.

So that is just why I was asking since I was not sure what was going on and wanted to know so I could appropriate action if needed.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies